Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato blight

Anyone had the dreaded scourge attack their spuds yet?

We've had a couple of plants looking yellowed and sickly and showing
signs of probable blight, so hubby's dug them up and salvaged the tubers
in an attempt to stop it spreading through the lot. Luckily the potatoes
seem fine and there's more than enough for tea.

All the other plants look ok so far. Hope it doesn't get the whole patch
before we've had all our lovely new potatoes.

--
Sue
Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Indigo" wrote

Anyone had the dreaded scourge attack their spuds yet?

We've had a couple of plants looking yellowed and sickly and showing
signs of probable blight, so hubby's dug them up and salvaged the tubers
in an attempt to stop it spreading through the lot. Luckily the potatoes
seem fine and there's more than enough for tea.

All the other plants look ok so far. Hope it doesn't get the whole patch
before we've had all our lovely new potatoes.

I've never known it this early, usually end of July and August.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-06-2014, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:41:25 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

I've never known it this early, usually end of July and August.

Google "Smith Period", it's unusual to get those conditions in June but
not impossible. There is at least one web-site that allows you to sign up
and get email warnings of Smith Periods in your area.

hth

Derek
Old 14-06-2014, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/06/2014 22:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Indigo" wrote

Anyone had the dreaded scourge attack their spuds yet?

We've had a couple of plants looking yellowed and sickly and showing
signs of probable blight, so hubby's dug them up and salvaged the tubers
in an attempt to stop it spreading through the lot. Luckily the potatoes
seem fine and there's more than enough for tea.
[...]

I've never known it this early, usually end of July and August.

The OH remarked it seemed a bit early for blight but we have had several
days of very warm and rather muggy weather here in Norfolk; just right
for encouraging all manner of trouble. The two plants he got rid of
(Arran Pilot) also had stems that were blackening at the base. He said
one tuber nearest the stem had a rotten patch and was binned as well.
Could it be something other than blight? So far the other plants still
seem clear.

--
Sue

Old 14-06-2014, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2014 13:12, Derek Turner wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:41:25 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

I've never known it this early, usually end of July and August.

Google "Smith Period", it's unusual to get those conditions in June but
not impossible. There is at least one web-site that allows you to sign up
and get email warnings of Smith Periods in your area.

hth

Derek

Thanks. Found this which might be one you were thinking of.
http://www.potato.org.uk/fight-again...ight-incidents

Norfolk & Suffolk do have some reported cases already.

--
Sue

Old 14-06-2014, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Indigo" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Indigo" wrote

Anyone had the dreaded scourge attack their spuds yet?

We've had a couple of plants looking yellowed and sickly and showing
signs of probable blight, so hubby's dug them up and salvaged the tubers
in an attempt to stop it spreading through the lot. Luckily the potatoes
seem fine and there's more than enough for tea.
[...]

I've never known it this early, usually end of July and August.

The OH remarked it seemed a bit early for blight but we have had several
days of very warm and rather muggy weather here in Norfolk; just right for
encouraging all manner of trouble. The two plants he got rid of (Arran
Pilot) also had stems that were blackening at the base. He said one tuber
nearest the stem had a rotten patch and was binned as well. Could it be
something other than blight? So far the other plants still seem clear.

That is Black Leg not blight, usually comes from infected seed tubers which
is why it's randomly distributed through the rows and it's encouraged by wet
conditions. Arran Pilot is one of those susceptible to the disease as are
Majestic, Maris Bard, Desiree and Estima. So don't grow any of those for a
few years and don't replant your own tubers.
Resistant varieties are
Second Early.. Kestral, Saxon and Wilja
Maincrop... Maris Piper.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-06-2014, 01:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2014 18:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

We we're telling my Dad about this earlier and he said it sounded more
like black leg too. I'd never heard of that before now, although he
apparently used to have it attack the spuds in one part of his veg plot,
when on the far side of his garden they do ok.

We only put in a few rows, but I'd be sorry not to be able to grow any
at all, as it's so much nicer to have new potatoes straight out of the
garden when they're ready, rather than from a shop.

The OH does buy new seed potatoes each spring and almost always chooses
Arran Pilot, which have normally been fine, but I'll make a note to get
a different, more resistant variety next year. Thanks very much for the
info, Bob.

--
Sue