Old 19-06-2014, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT problem

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?
Old 19-06-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2014 15:38, David Hill wrote:

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?

You have damaged the association between HTML links and the browser.

Can you copy and paste a link into a newly opened browser window or is
the browser itself defective.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-06-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2014 16:38, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/06/2014 15:38, David Hill wrote:

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?

You have damaged the association between HTML links and the browser.

Can you copy and paste a link into a newly opened browser window or is
the browser itself defective.

No problem if I cut and paste into the browser but can't find a way to
get normal service back.
I've reloaded Thunderbird but that's made no difference, same with
thunderbird.
Old 19-06-2014, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Hill
writes
On 19/06/2014 16:38, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/06/2014 15:38, David Hill wrote:

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?

You have damaged the association between HTML links and the browser.

Can you copy and paste a link into a newly opened browser window or is
the browser itself defective.

No problem if I cut and paste into the browser but can't find a way to
get normal service back.
I've reloaded Thunderbird but that's made no difference, same with
thunderbird.

Which browser are you using?
--
bert
Old 20-06-2014, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?

try looking at this...

Go to "Control Panel"
Then "Default Programs"
Then " Set Program Access and Computer Details" click the arrows next to
which of the three options that is marked and see what is default Browser
(if any) change as required.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-06-2014, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/2014 08:17, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:00:34 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 19/06/2014 16:38, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/06/2014 15:38, David Hill wrote:

I don't know why but I don't seem to be able to open any of the links
posted here, had no problems till sometime this week.
Any ideas?

You have damaged the association between HTML links and the browser.

Can you copy and paste a link into a newly opened browser window or is
the browser itself defective.

No problem if I cut and paste into the browser but can't find a way to
get normal service back.
I've reloaded Thunderbird but that's made no difference, same with
thunderbird.

If you had used Thunderbird Help like I suggested, you would have seen

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ork&r= 0&as=s

"Problems with composing messages

Unlike some other email programs, Thunderbird does not create a clickable link
when you are composing a message and add a hyperlink. If you use the Insert |
Link... command, the link is formatted as a link (underlined and colored), but
clicking on it does nothing. If you paste or type a link into the body of a
message it appears in the text of the message without any indication that it is
a link.

This behavior is deliberate. When links are "activated", they are difficult to
edit (because when you try to position the cursor within an active link you
usually launch the link in the browser).

When a message is sent (or saved as a draft), Thunderbird "activates" links in
the message, adding formatting as necessary and making them clickable
hyperlinks.

Problems with received or saved mails

When you click a hyperlink in a message, your system's default web browser
should open (if it is not already running) and display the link. If that doesn't
happen, there are several possible causes.

Check that the operating system's default browser is specified
Every operating system allows the specification of a default browser that will
be launched (for example) when a hyperlink in a message is clicked. Internet
Explorer, Firefox, and other browsers check this setting by default when they
start up and prompt you to set them as the default. Sometimes, however, this
setting goes awry and your computer forgets which browser is the default. To fix
this problem, you need to reset the default browser on your system.

Firefox

In FireFox, select Tools | Options (Windows) or Firefox | Preferences (Mac and
Linux). Select the Advanced tab. On the General page, make sure "Always check to
see if Firefox is the default browser on startup", and then click the Check Now
button. Restart Firefox and then restart Thunderbird.

Internet Explorer under XP (it may differ on other Windows versions)

On the Control Panel, select the Internet option. Select the programs tab. In
the middle of the page there will be options to turn the browser checking on and
off.

Check that no application is specified for the HTTP content type
In Thunderbird you can specify an action that occurs when you click on various
types of attachments and inline content. If the action for the HTTP / HTTPS
content type is set incorrectly, this will prevent links from opening correctly.

If the operating system's default browser is specified correctly as described
above, it is not necessary to specify an action for the HTTP / HTTPS content
type. To check this setting, select Tools | Options (Windows) or Thunderbird |
Preferences (Mac and Linux). Click on the Attachments page. If HTTP and / or
HTTPS are listing in the Content Type column, either delete the action or ensure
the specified action is correct.

Check for an incorrect preference
In some circumstances a normally hidden preference gets changed resulting in
Thunderbird trying to handle these links internally. One of these circumstances
appears to be after you uninstall the ThunderBrowse add on, although the upgrade
process to V5 appears to have caused it for some people as well. To check if
this might be the cause, open the trouble shooting information in the Help menu
and under the heading of modified preferences look for a preference
network.protocol-handler.external-default. If this is present and set to false
then this is your problem.

To correct this setting, select Tools | Options (Windows) or Thunderbird |
Preferences (Mac and Linux). Click on the Advanced page. Select the Config
Editor button and click the 'I will be careful, I promise' button.

Type network.protocol-handler.external-default, or enough of it that you can see
it appear in the list below. Select the entry in the list, right click it and
select the reset option from the menu that appears.

Check for interference from an extension
It is time to look for an extension that may be causing some unwanted behavior.
Run Thunderbird in Thunderbird Safe Mode. If you can click on hyperlinks in
Thunderbird safe mode but not in normal mode then your problem is probably being
caused by an add-on (also known as an extension).

Next try the Standard Diagnostics.

If you still have a problem, go to Get Satisfaction and ask about what could be
the cause of the problem.

Before you post in Get Satisfaction read this and be sure to say exactly what
you have done already to diagnose the problem.

Share this article: http://mzl.la/1e3yytz "

Thanks Martin
Thunderbird didn't give me the option, but following the info you
posted problem solved, Browser box had become un ticked.
Thanks again.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/2014 10:53, Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Don't mention it, treat my help as a reward for all the valuable advice you
give. :-)

If you lose the Composition Window menu bar press F5. If you go offline there is
a tiny icon in the bottom left hand corner that changes Thunderbird back to
online. We gave up trying to understand what screwed up my wife's copy of
Thunderbird, other than that she probably hit two keys at the same time. I went
to Thunderbird Help in desperation after wasting an evening trying to sort out
the problems.

Did you find a metal spatula?

I have one on order,but found this pic. of the one I am trying to
replace http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/20315
Old 20-06-2014, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

8.50 from http://thevintagekitchenstore.co.uk/...?id_product=52
Old 20-06-2014, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

My replacement arrived this morning and already tried out. Not as good
as the old one but much better than the nylon/plastic things.
8/10
http://www.tastesoftorrisholme.co.uk...ner-1296-p.asp

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 20-06-2014, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 20/06/2014 08:17, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:00:34 +0100, David Hill

snip

Did you find a metal spatula?

I have one on order,but found this pic. of the one I am trying to
replace http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/20315

8.50 from http://thevintagekitchenstore.co.uk/...?id_product=52

I was going to add that it will last David a life time, except the last one
didn't. :-)

I don't know yet about the handle getting hot, but I wouldn't think so
under normal use.
As to lasting a lifetime, the last one did around 20 years so it had a
good life and was used a lot.