Old 24-06-2014, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching Mowers

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
jmileman wrote..

We'll be moving house shortly and going from a lawn the size of a postage
stamp to something around a quarter of an acre. Whilst my little Black and
Decker electric mower has done me proud for the last few years I don't
think it's going to be up to the job at the new place. I quite enjoy
mowing the lawn but I hate the hassle of disposing of the cuttings so am
thinking that a mulching mower is the way forward.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mulching mower given the
following

1. Must be petrol and self propelled with a decent width (21" or over)
2. Lawn is flat and square (although I will probably put in some borders
and beds so the shape is likely to change)
3. Not bothered about stripes
4. We have a 10 year old daughter so lawn will be a 'family' type not some
perfectly manicured bowling green
5. Budget around £500

If you intend to make beds in the lawn then you need a roller mower to
ease cutting the edges, a wheeled mower will simply fall down the edge and
make a mess.
Honda is a good make with excellent engines but the cheapest roller mower
they do in about £850.
Other names are Allett, Viking, but they either don't do what you want or
are 4x what you want to pay.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

There are a few wheeled models with an offset rotor. I've got one. It
doesn't stop the mower falling off completely but it does help.

Mulching mowers kt United Kingdom 6 01-04-2007 11:58 AM
Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
Mulching/multiclip mowers fj United Kingdom 10 26-06-2003 12:20 PM
Mulching or Multiclip Mowers - and now Moles ned United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 01:20 AM
Mulching or Multiclip Mowers fj United Kingdom 11 09-06-2003 09:10 PM