Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who writes them?

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year
round and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year round
and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.

Frost does not affect Geraniums much at all, they are quite hardy, except
for a couple of the large species. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-03 21:19:33 +0000, David Hill said:

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year
round and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.

I suppose they mean Pels?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2014 22:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year
round and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.

Frost does not affect Geraniums much at all, they are quite hardy,
except for a couple of the large species. :-)

Sorry Bob I should have added that the picture accompanying the item was
of a pelagonium, but I thought the bit "Flower all year" would have made
it obvious that it wasn't any form of hardy geranium
Old 04-07-2014, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year
round and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.

Frost does not affect Geraniums much at all, they are quite hardy,
except for a couple of the large species. :-)

Sorry Bob I should have added that the picture accompanying the item was of
a pelagonium, but I thought the bit "Flower all year" would have made it
obvious that it wasn't any form of hardy geranium

Only joking David, I find it very strange that the "trade" still call them
Geraniums when they have been Pelagoniums for a very long time, 1932 wasn't
it. Yet they changed to from using Datura to Brugmansia almost instantly as
they have other plants that had their names changed.

That said I did hear a chap in RHS Wisley shop say to his wife " they
haven't got any Geraniums, it says Pelagoniums, we'll have to go to a GC" so
perhaps there is a reason for the reluctance to change.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 14:21:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

[...]

It's probably because the vast majority of customers still ask for
Geraniums, not Pelargoniums and you so often have to ask exactly which
they want. It's quite surprising how many people still don't know there
is a difference and it's important to ensure they're getting what they
want, of course! We quite often talk among ourselves about 'geraniums'
when we mean Pelargoniums. We just know what we mean once the
conversation goes a tiny bit further! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-05 10:46:13 +0000, Chris Hogg said:
snip
I had a SIL (now an ex-SIL) who swore blind that geraniums (as in
pelargoniums) were derived from cranesbills, and she wouldn't be
shifted from that view, because 'an old gardener had told her'!

What a shame he wasn't a lot more specific! Very useful plants the
hardy geraniums. They seem to be happy almost anywhere. I'm very fond
of 'Rozanne', which used to be called 'Jolly Bee' but I think my
favourite is 'Splish Splash' because I like the random blue streaking
on the petals.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/07/2014 11:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 18:35:59 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-07-04 14:21:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

[...]

A very prestigious garden centre we visited recently didn't seem to know
the difference. I imagine someone had ordered a million "deep red
geranium" labels from the printers and didn't want to waste them. Very
confusing but I forgive them because they had the elusive erigeron
karvinskianus in stock (well, just one hiding in a corner).
Old 05-07-2014, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2014 15:21, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

The Gardening club newsletter from Wyevale has this offer
Get a free geranium when you spend £15.00 or more

"Geraniums are this season's must-have plant - they flower all year
round and give your garden an instant splash of colour."

No mention of what frost does to them.

Frost does not affect Geraniums much at all, they are quite hardy,
except for a couple of the large species. :-)

Sorry Bob I should have added that the picture accompanying the item
was of a pelagonium, but I thought the bit "Flower all year" would
have made it obvious that it wasn't any form of hardy geranium

Only joking David, I find it very strange that the "trade" still call
them Geraniums when they have been Pelagoniums for a very long time,
1932 wasn't it. Yet they changed to from using Datura to Brugmansia
almost instantly as they have other plants that had their names changed.

My understanding was that Brugmansia and Datura were two different
plants (though closely related), where the Brug flowers are pendant and
the Datura flowers are erect. Is this wrong?

That said I did hear a chap in RHS Wisley shop say to his wife " they
haven't got any Geraniums, it says Pelagoniums, we'll have to go to a
GC" so perhaps there is a reason for the reluctance to change.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 04/07/2014 15:21, Bob Hobden wrote:

Only joking David, I find it very strange that the "trade" still call
them Geraniums when they have been Pelagoniums for a very long time,
1932 wasn't it. Yet they changed to from using Datura to Brugmansia
almost instantly as they have other plants that had their names changed.

My understanding was that Brugmansia and Datura were two different
plants (though closely related), where the Brug flowers are pendant and
the Datura flowers are erect. Is this wrong?

I should have to investigate, but the former are usually perennial
and the latter annual, too. However, not long ago, they were ALL
called Datura. Some botanical name changes are justified, but
others are merely done to massage the egos of the bureaucrats that
claim to be scientists.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-05 13:29:09 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 12:56:09 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

but I forgive them because they had the elusive erigeron
karvinskianus in stock (well, just one hiding in a corner).

Elusive? Not down here it isn't! :-)
Seeds itself around and grows everywhere, and in the most unlikely and
inhospitable places: paths, walls, paving, steps, you name it! Once
you've got it, you'll never be without it!

I'm happy to agree with that! We just love it and it's all over the
place both here and in the surrounding areas.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/07/2014 14:31, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 04/07/2014 15:21, Bob Hobden wrote:

Only joking David, I find it very strange that the "trade" still call
them Geraniums when they have been Pelagoniums for a very long time,
1932 wasn't it. Yet they changed to from using Datura to Brugmansia
almost instantly as they have other plants that had their names changed.

My understanding was that Brugmansia and Datura were two different
plants (though closely related), where the Brug flowers are pendant and
the Datura flowers are erect. Is this wrong?

I should have to investigate, but the former are usually perennial
and the latter annual, too. However, not long ago, they were ALL
called Datura. Some botanical name changes are justified, but
others are merely done to massage the egos of the bureaucrats that
claim to be scientists.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That's interesting, if true. Since I perceive them as non-hardy plants,
I hadn't troubled to consider if they were perennial or not. I have seen
some very large plants which, had I thought about it, would have to have
been perennial to put on such mature and quite woody growth. Having said
that, I recall that there is woody growth on the bi-annual Echium pininana.

I try and keep up with the botanical names, but it's not easy. It is
clear that many gardeners simply don't want to accept a new name for an
old favourite. The changing of the Chrysanthemum clan names being a
case in point.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

but I forgive them because they had the elusive erigeron
karvinskianus in stock (well, just one hiding in a corner).

Elusive? Not down here it isn't! :-)
Seeds itself around and grows everywhere, and in the most unlikely and
inhospitable places: paths, walls, paving, steps, you name it! Once
you've got it, you'll never be without it!

I look forward to that.....I think :-)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

[...]

Most Brugmansia are best as plot plants, overwintered under cover.
Some flower the first year, but not reliably in poor summers.

I try and keep up with the botanical names, but it's not easy. It is
clear that many gardeners simply don't want to accept a new name for an
old favourite. The changing of the Chrysanthemum clan names being a
case in point.

It's almost entirely the fault of the taxonomic fanatics. Most of
us are prepared to change, if there is a good reason, but not put
up with their extremism and ego massaging.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-04 14:21:02 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

[...]

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I think the name change goes back further, it was proposed when Carl
linnaeus died back in the 1700's it was he who had insisted that they were
all Geraniums, but as soon as the other botanists got a chance got a chance
it was split into 5 different genera as there are obvious differences.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs