Old 14-07-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default putty for conservatory windows?

Only just on topic I know, but does anyone have knowledge of the best type
of putty to use on wooden windows which get hot and wet? its the bead
outside that seems to crack and drop out in sections, makes painting a right
pain.

I tend to use silicon when glazing new sections of new wood and new glass.
but repairing older parts I have in the past used linseed oil putties but
that only seems to last a short while, is there something better like the
putty for metal frame windows perhaps? or some other filler type, preferably
one I don't need to constantly have to paint!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 15-07-2014, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 23:04:30 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Only just on topic I know, but does anyone have knowledge of the best type
of putty to use on wooden windows which get hot and wet? its the bead
outside that seems to crack and drop out in sections, makes painting a right
pain.

I tend to use silicon when glazing new sections of new wood and new glass.
but repairing older parts I have in the past used linseed oil putties but
that only seems to last a short while, is there something better like the
putty for metal frame windows perhaps? or some other filler type, preferably
one I don't need to constantly have to paint!

I would be tempted to try one of those spray foam fillers. They are
available in small aerosol cans which have long nozzles. I have had
some sealing a shower panel in my bathroom for months. It gets
showered with hot and cold water every day. No sign of deterioration.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 15-07-2014, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2014 23:04, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Only just on topic I know, but does anyone have knowledge of the best
type of putty to use on wooden windows which get hot and wet? its the
bead outside that seems to crack and drop out in sections, makes
painting a right pain.

I tend to use silicon when glazing new sections of new wood and new
glass. but repairing older parts I have in the past used linseed oil
putties but that only seems to last a short while, is there something
better like the putty for metal frame windows perhaps? or some other
filler type, preferably one I don't need to constantly have to paint!

I use acrylic putty. Easier to work with and stays flexible enough not
to crack

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...--beige-321980

Wickes do their own (white!) I think.