Old 22-07-2014, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Spider - loquats

Just heard on the local news that loquats are fruiting for the first
time at Abbotsbury. So just a bit more global warming and there's hope
for us yet!

--

Jeff
Old 22-07-2014, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 12:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just heard on the local news that loquats are fruiting for the first
time at Abbotsbury. So just a bit more global warming and there's hope
for us yet!

Thanks, Jeff! That's interesting. This year isn't our first for a
crop, as it happens, but the tree certainly doesn't crop annually. The
flowers appear in autumn and set before winter, usually, so they have to
persist for quite a long time before they swell and ripen. I daresay
there are years when the winter is too cold. The flowers have a lovely
scent, too.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-07-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 16:42, Spider wrote:
On 22/07/2014 12:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just heard on the local news that loquats are fruiting for the first
time at Abbotsbury. So just a bit more global warming and there's hope
for us yet!

Thanks, Jeff! That's interesting. This year isn't our first for a
crop, as it happens, but the tree certainly doesn't crop annually. The
flowers appear in autumn and set before winter, usually, so they have to
persist for quite a long time before they swell and ripen. I daresay
there are years when the winter is too cold. The flowers have a lovely
scent, too.

I would guess that Abbotsbury is slightly milder than SE London, but
doesn't get so hot in summer, so I'm not surprised that your loquat has
fruited. London is well known for having a "heat island" climate, but
Abbotsbury is far more unlikely to have a frost than London, so I guess
there are swings and roundabouts. But a mild winter and hot summer are
both required for any decent fruit to appear. How big is your plant?

--

Jeff
Old 22-07-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2014 19:07, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Although I'm in London, I'm on high ground which can feel exposed
occasionally, so certainly not in the 'tropical' heart of the city;~).
The tree's height is substantial (making harvesting
difficult/interesting), and it is mature-going-on-elderly (maybe 20
yrs), so much of its wood is well ripened. However, it flowers and
fruits on new wood, so maybe that's not an issue. Although on clay, it
is in a fairly free-draining spot and receives sun all afternoon and
evening. It doesn't get pampered, but every year or three I remember to
feed it.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
loquats? JennyC United Kingdom 9 01-11-2005 04:22 PM
Loquats for wildlife? Bill McKee Texas 17 16-03-2004 04:33 AM
Loquats for wildlife? Bill McKee Texas 1 14-03-2004 03:54 PM
Loquats? Rod United Kingdom 5 20-04-2003 04:56 PM