Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
xtinexoop

Default Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right?

Hi

We have just had a deck laid by a landscape company (about 2 weeks
ago) and already several of the boards have big splits running right
down the middle.

The landscaper says this is normal because 'wood is natural' - but I
wouldn't have thought it would split like this so soon.

As the whole job is only just finished we haven't paid the total bill
yet, but we don't know enough about decking to know what is/isn't
normal.

Also, they have done a lot of relevelling before relaying the turf.
At the moment we aren't walking on it as they said to leave it for two
weeks, but on the odd occasion where we have had to step on it (to
reposition the sprinkler!) it is very very soft underfoot - we can't
imagine it staying level once the kids start running on it... is this
because the underneath isn't compacted enough or is this normal? If
it does become 'bumpy' can it be flattened after the event by rolling
it?

Christine
Old 07-05-2003, 08:44 AM
gastropod

The deck should not have split, it seams the wood is cheap and thin. The
lawn should be consistently firm or soft otherwise it will sink. This
though maybe because there is too much water under the turf. Try not
watering it for a while. There should be plenty of water under the surface
by now.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

om...

Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM
xtinexoop

"gastropod" wrote in message ...
The deck should not have split, it seams the wood is cheap and thin. The
lawn should be consistently firm or soft otherwise it will sink. This
though maybe because there is too much water under the turf. Try not
watering it for a while. There should be plenty of water under the surface
by now.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

Is it possible to 'overwater' turf... we really aren't sure how much
water we should be giving it...

Most of it seems green and the edges haven't lifted except for three
strips near the fence which the contractor didn't 'tamp down' with his
board... I guess that hasn't taken... the are not as green and gaps
are appearing between them....

Christine