Old 17-09-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Malcolm" wrote in message

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew that
a few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white flowered
beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans to
neighbours, they all want French beans though.

I would call Celebration flowers salmon-pink and they contrast nicely with
the red of Enorma.

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2014, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

Thank you. Which is your preference?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-09-2014, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/16/2014 5:14 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Thanks What do you prefer to grow now?

Haven't grown _any_ beans lately! My former bean and pea patch is now in
shadow, and also affected by the roots of a very tall black walnut tree.
Old 17-09-2014, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 5:14 PM, Ophelia wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Thanks What do you prefer to grow now?

Haven't grown _any_ beans lately! My former bean and pea patch is now in
shadow, and also affected by the roots of a very tall black walnut tree.

Oh heck Could you use tubs and put them in the light?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-09-2014, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/17/2014 10:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote
On 9/16/2014 5:14 PM, Ophelia wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote
On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Thanks What do you prefer to grow now?

Haven't grown _any_ beans lately! My former bean and pea patch is now
in shadow, and also affected by the roots of a very tall black walnut
tree.

Oh heck Could you use tubs and put them in the light?

The tubs (lots of them - big ones) are filled with various herbs and
decorative flowers.

Old 17-09-2014, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/17/2014 10:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote
On 9/16/2014 5:14 PM, Ophelia wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote
On 9/16/2014 4:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

I grew them about 20 years ago. I prefer them to runner beans.

Thanks What do you prefer to grow now?

Haven't grown _any_ beans lately! My former bean and pea patch is now
in shadow, and also affected by the roots of a very tall black walnut
tree.

Oh heck Could you use tubs and put them in the light?

The tubs (lots of them - big ones) are filled with various herbs and
decorative flowers.

Ok I guess it depends on how much you want to grow beans)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-09-2014, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Malcolm" wrote in message

Celebration, isn't that the one with peach coloured flowers, we grew that
a few years ago, good cropper, grew well. The Boss prefers white flowered
beans, says they are more tender, so we grow White Lady and Moonlight.
What we find is when we have a glut we can't get rid of runner beans to
neighbours, they all want French beans though.

I would call Celebration flowers salmon-pink and they contrast nicely with
the red of Enorma.

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

I prefer harvesting the blue beans, much easier to spot.

I much prefer french beans, each year we have less runners and more
French I think

--
Chris French

Old 17-09-2014, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris French" wrote in message
news
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Malcolm" wrote in message

[...]

Which Blue Bean do you grow?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-09-2014, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Have grown them 3 times over the last 10 years. Only had one good crop.

I'm 500' up and East facing. Blue Lake needs a sheltered spot.

Old 17-09-2014, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes

Ophelia wrote:
"Malcolm" wrote in message

[...]

Not sure, we have grown Blue Lake, but I've no idea (SWMBO bought the
seeds I think) if was that or a different one this time.
--
Chris French

Old 17-09-2014, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/09/2014 20:04, Ophelia wrote:
Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

I prefer harvesting the blue beans, much easier to spot.

I much prefer french beans, each year we have less runners and more
French I think

Which Blue Bean do you grow?

Off topic slightly as my runners have been a disaster this year, the
worst I have EVER grown; or not grown;.
Searching for Killer whale beans I came across this site.
http://www.zursunbeans.com/beans/#hdr_beans
Some interesting things.
Taffy from the drought ridden side of Swansea Bay
Old 17-09-2014, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Have grown them 3 times over the last 10 years. Only had one good crop.

I'm 500' up and East facing. Blue Lake needs a sheltered spot.

Thank you. I might try just a few and see how they go. How long do seeds
last?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 17-09-2014, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 17/09/2014 20:04, Ophelia wrote:
Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

I prefer harvesting the blue beans, much easier to spot.

I much prefer french beans, each year we have less runners and more
French I think

Which Blue Bean do you grow?

Off topic slightly as my runners have been a disaster this year, the
worst I have EVER grown; or not grown;.
Searching for Killer whale beans I came across this site.
http://www.zursunbeans.com/beans/#hdr_beans
Some interesting things.

Amusing but not very reliable. Not all will grow here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2014, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Have grown them 3 times over the last 10 years. Only had one good crop.

I'm 500' up and East facing. Blue Lake needs a sheltered spot.

Thank you. I might try just a few and see how they go. How long do seeds
last?

Several years, at least, if kept dry. That's true of all bean
seeds.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-09-2014, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 17/09/2014 20:04, Ophelia wrote:
Has anyone grown 'Climbing French Bean Blue Lake' ?

I bought a pack of seeds yesterday.

Yes. It's OK, but not the best of the climbing blue beans, which
are our preferred ones. But the differences are small.

I prefer harvesting the blue beans, much easier to spot.

I much prefer french beans, each year we have less runners and more
French I think

Which Blue Bean do you grow?

Off topic slightly as my runners have been a disaster this year, the worst
I have EVER grown; or not grown;.
Searching for Killer whale beans I came across this site.
http://www.zursunbeans.com/beans/#hdr_beans
Some interesting things.
Taffy from the drought ridden side of Swansea Bay

That Is A Lot of Beans) I cook many of them but haven't grown them
Would the beans bought in the supermarket for cooking be viable for growing?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM