Old 27-10-2014, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spreading manure

This year I have dug in some phacelia green manure and then spread some cow manure (stacked for six months)on top.I have not turned it in as one of my allotment colleagues suggested that the worms will pull it in over the winter,and I will just need to lightly fork it over in March.My allotment has basically sandy soil.
Michael
Old 27-10-2014, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2014 11:05, Michael wrote:
This year I have dug in some phacelia green manure and then spread some cow manure (stacked for six months)on top.I have not turned it in as one of my allotment colleagues suggested that the worms will pull it in over the winter,and I will just need to lightly fork it over in March.My allotment has basically sandy soil.
Michael

There are gardeners that swear by a no dig policy, can't say that it has
worked for me, though leaving worms to gather in manure works quite well.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Michael wrote:
This year I have dug in some phacelia green manure and then spread some
cow manure (stacked for six months)on top.I have not turned it in as one
of my allotment colleagues suggested that the worms will pull it in over
the winter,and I will just need to lightly fork it over in March.My
allotment has basically sandy soil.

There are gardeners that swear by a no dig policy, can't say that it has
worked for me, though leaving worms to gather in manure works quite well.

I think the "no dig" thing only works on sandy friable soil, on our heavy
clay silt it would become like concrete.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.