Old 24-12-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Spider (was In the garden)

On 24/12/2014 18:20, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 24/12/2014 18:12, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 24/12/2014 13:43, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Yes! They do have green netting I will take them down and see how
else I can use them. What do you use to hang yours in?

I now have a variety of proprietory feeders that each take two or
three seed balls. It was difficult before I bought them, but I did
try suspending them inside small plant pots (using wire), but it
was a
bit of a fiddle. If need be, you could always crumble them onto a
bird table (or the ground) for now, but I acknowledge that it is
safer
for the birds feeding from a tree *and* much more fun for you to
watch
from the house. If you can't easily provide a makeshift hanger,
then I
suggest you buy a few ready-made ones. You'll never regret it.

Thank you for the warning!

You're more than welcome. Nobody who is caring enough to feed birds
wants to harm them.

Right well hubby has been down and rigged a feeder, bless him :

Our small portable greenhouse has the cover removed for the winter
so he
put a piece of plastic guttering across the upper horizontal supports,
drilled a small hole near the top next to the vertical bars at each
end
and used pieces of string to tie the guttering to them. Then he
inserted
some wire mesh to raise the fat balls so that any rain water would
drain
away underneath them and stuck a length of duct tape across the end of
the gutter in case the balls rolled down the slight slope due to wind.
He also drilled a hole through the centre of one fat ball and tied
it to
the tree with a plastic tie, though if the birds go at it consistently
from one side it will inevitably fall off eventually. If you need
a pic
I can do that.

It looks a bit odd, but safety is the aim) Thank you again)

Well done, your hubby! It sounds intriguing. I'm not going to send you
out into the cold for a pic, but it was very good of hubby to risk the
chill factor to help the little birds. I hope you made him a nice,
warm drink. Happy Christmas to both of you.

Thank you, and to you too I have passed on your kind comments If
you want a pic later I will be quite happy to post one

Thank you, Ophelia. Perhaps after Christmas, and only then if the
weather is kind enough. I confess I'm very curious about it:~).

In that case, you shall have one asap)

Ta very much. Please don't get chilled, though.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-12-2014, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Here you go:

http://tinypic.com/r/16anpub/8

http://tinypic.com/r/15ext2w/8

http://tinypic.com/r/1pchv4/8

We just got in, looked through the window and a flock of starlings
descended This was taken through the window!

http://tinypic.com/r/2jb172x/8

Not posh or fancy but it does the job safely)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 25-12-2014, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/12/2014 15:25, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you, Ophelia! It's very good for something hubby had to knock
together in a hurry *and* it does the job. Nice to see the evidence!
I would only ask (a little cautiously!) one more favour of your hubby:
would he consider putting an inner layer of gaffer tape over the sticky
surface on the inside the drain pipe? If he doesn't, spiders (gulp) and
other beneficial insects may get stuck in the glue. Too dark to do it
today (especially up't yon), but perhaps in the morning ...?
Pretty please:~). Thank you for the pics.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-12-2014, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/12/2014 13:45, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 24/12/2014 12:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 23/12/2014 23:19, Ophelia wrote:

Lucky you! All I have is holly, plenty of berries though
What, no berries on the Cotoneaster?

The birds devoured all my cotoneaster berries a month ago.
Plenty of
holly berries, though.
And one pink rosebud.

Oooh you posh thing D. say we have berries but I will check
tomorrow in case he missed their demise)

Change of plan! There is a gale blowing and it is chucking it down
out there

Yes)) There are loads) We went down to hang seed balls and
wondered whether to hang one in there Still they have the choice)

That's great, Ophelia! I would have been surprised if there hadn't
been; ours are smothered in berries:~). None are tall enough to hang
seed balls in, but one will eventually make small tree size.

My cotoneaster has some berries, but only a few - because it is a
tightly pruned wall shrub, the blackbirds tend to leave it alone.

Unfortunately, I have no berries on my Danae.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ah! But I knew Ophelia's cotoneaster was a loosely unpruned fence
shrub, so it was likely to have berries, particularly because many
birds seem to leave cotoneaster alone until they have demolished other
berries.

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-12-2014, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Hubby says that he folded the tape over so there is no sticky surface
exposed, so you can breathe easy)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 25-12-2014, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

...?
Pretty please:~). Thank you for the pics.

Hubby says that he folded the tape over so there is no sticky surface
exposed, so you can breathe easy)

That was quick! Thank you for replying and thank your hubby very much
for being so thoughtful. You're both great souls. I shall breathe
easier ... probably over a glass of wine soon:~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-12-2014, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Probably the Yorkshire in us g Have one for me)

Cheers from one Yorkshire lassie to another )))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 25-12-2014, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Too right!:~))) Cheers! Hic!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-12-2014, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 26-12-2014, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/12/2014 13:05, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the
initials stand for, but you get the general idea. He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the last
day or two.
He's not what you'd call a gardener - ever! - but he's handy when I need
the occasional patio paving or a weeny wall building, and so on. Sadly,
he's not from Yorkshire. He hails from Essex. He can't help it;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-12-2014, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 26/12/2014 13:05, Ophelia wrote:

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the
initials stand for, but you get the general idea. He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the last
day or two.

Rumpelstiltskin Goborchend?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-12-2014, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/12/2014 16:27, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 26/12/2014 13:05, Ophelia wrote:

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the
initials stand for, but you get the general idea. He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the last
day or two.

Rumpelstiltskin Goborchend?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

How ever did you know?!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 26-12-2014, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the initials
stand for, but you get the general idea.

No problem at all)

He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the last
day or two.

Hi RG *waves*

He's not what you'd call a gardener - ever! - but he's handy when I need
the occasional patio paving or a weeny wall building, and so on. Sadly,
he's not from Yorkshire. He hails from Essex. He can't help it;~).

Of course not. I see he has redeeming qualities though (patio paving and
weeny wall building) so it isn't all bad ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-12-2014, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 26/12/2014 13:05, Ophelia wrote:

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the
initials stand for, but you get the general idea. He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the last
day or two.

Rumpelstiltskin Goborchend?

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 26-12-2014, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

g She knows my garden better than I do))

:~)) Generous claim and perhaps a little optimistic. Made me smile,
though - and RG, too!

RG?

Alias Husband Thingy. Obviously, I can't tell you here what the
initials stand for, but you get the general idea.

No problem at all)

He appears on this
group from time to time. Indeed, he posted the NIN post within the
last day or two.

Hi RG *waves*

He waves back.

He's not what you'd call a gardener - ever! - but he's handy when I
need the occasional patio paving or a weeny wall building, and so on.
Sadly, he's not from Yorkshire. He hails from Essex. He can't help
it;~).

Of course not. I see he has redeeming qualities though (patio paving
and weeny wall building) so it isn't all bad ;-)

It certainly isn't! I've got to be nice to him at the moment because
I've got a loooong list of jobs for him in the Spring, weeny wall
included. Lots of new projects:~))).

Well, I'm off to my bed now as it's way past my bedtime and I haven't
fed the cats yet or done the security check. Night night.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London