Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheshunt Compound

I have previously used this successfully to prevent damping off on tomato
seedlings.

I was looking to buy some more - but I cannot see it is available now.

My seedlings have just come through: fortunately I have enough Cheshunt
Compound left for a few waterings - but I am looking for a good alternative.

Any recommendations please?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:21:47 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:51:04 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

I have previously used this successfully to prevent damping off on tomato
seedlings.

I was looking to buy some more - but I cannot see it is available now.

My seedlings have just come through: fortunately I have enough Cheshunt
Compound left for a few waterings - but I am looking for a good alternative.

Any recommendations please?

It is/was a copper-based fungicide. Cheshunt is a mixture of copper
sulphate and ammonium carbonate (smelling salts). Bordeaux mixture is
similar, but uses lime in place of the ammonium carbonate. Bordeaux
mixture is still available, apparently http://tinyurl.com/npcr9ou .
Another one is copper oxychloride. I believe Bayer do it, amongst
others. http://tinyurl.com/nr72yus and sold as a replacement for
Dithane, it says in the details.

Recipes for Bordeaux mixture and Burgundy mixture are available on the
net if you're prepared to make your own (they get their names from the
fact that they were widely used in French wine-making areas for
treating grapes). http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1631445.htm

I used to have a recipe for Cheshunt, although never made it myself. I
can't now actually find a recipe on the net ATM.

Cheers - I've just watered the tomato seedlings - I have just enough for one
more watering.

I will have to try one of the ones you have mentioned.

(When I was about 15 I used to buy Copper Sulphate by weight from my local
chemists. They would not sell it to me without a letter from my parents. My
mother duly obliged and authorised them to supply it (with other chemicals)
including Potassium Nitrate, sticks of Charcoal and Sulphur. !)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Judith in England wrote:

[...]

Found this on the net twice ....

Cheshunt Compound.
Weigh 60g of Copper Sulphate & 330g of Ammonium Carbonate.
These two are well powdered and well mixed.
The dry mixture is stood in an airtight glass container for 24 hours before
use, but can be stored bone dry for longer.
About 25g of this mixture is dissolved in hot water and the solution is made
up to 8 litres with cold water and used for soil drenching.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/2015 09:51, Judith in England wrote:

I have previously used this successfully to prevent damping off on tomato
seedlings.

I was looking to buy some more - but I cannot see it is available now.

My seedlings have just come through: fortunately I have enough Cheshunt
Compound left for a few waterings - but I am looking for a good alternative.

Any recommendations please?

The last time I looked for this I found Traditional Copper Fungicide
which seemed to the same job successfully. A varity made by Murphe is
available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Murphy-Tradi...m/B0036EESSM/2

That is only one result from a google search

Malcolm
Old 01-03-2015, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheshunt Compound - Must read the small print

On 01/03/2015 15:40, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 01/03/2015 09:51, Judith in England wrote:

I have previously used this successfully to prevent damping off on tomato
seedlings.

I was looking to buy some more - but I cannot see it is available now.

My seedlings have just come through: fortunately I have enough Cheshunt
Compound left for a few waterings - but I am looking for a good
alternative.

Any recommendations please?

The last time I looked for this I found Traditional Copper Fungicide
which seemed to the same job successfully. A varity made by Murphe is
available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Murphy-Tradi...m/B0036EESSM/2

That is only one result from a google search

Malcolm

Apologies for the previous post. I must read the small print! Amazon
are still advertising it but the small print say currently unavailabe.
A link to the HSE website

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/gar...=3157&pageno=1

seggests it might be currently available with the same name but a
different reference no.

Malcolm

Old 02-03-2015, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/03/2015 18:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 15:40:23 +0000, Malcolm Race
wrote:

On 01/03/2015 09:51, Judith in England wrote:

I have previously used this successfully to prevent damping off on tomato
seedlings.

I was looking to buy some more - but I cannot see it is available now.

My seedlings have just come through: fortunately I have enough Cheshunt
Compound left for a few waterings - but I am looking for a good alternative.

Any recommendations please?

The last time I looked for this I found Traditional Copper Fungicide
which seemed to the same job successfully. A varity made by Murphe is
available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Murphy-Tradi...m/B0036EESSM/2

That is only one result from a google search

Malcolm

Er..."currently unavailable" !

If you look at muy second post I realised that on a second reading. If
you follow the HSE link on that page yo will see that it is still
probably approved

Malcolm

Cheshunt Compound Judith in England United Kingdom 4 24-03-2017 12:36 PM
Cheshunt Compound Judith in England United Kingdom 0 16-03-2015 09:48 PM
Does excess Cheshunt prevent germination echinosum United Kingdom 0 30-03-2009 03:14 PM
Cheshunt Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 20-05-2005 12:17 PM
Tree-killing chemical compound? Arsenio Oloroso Jr. Gardening 7 14-05-2003 07:32 AM