Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beware non-peat compost

Three or four years ago, I contacted one of the major compost
producers to ask what steps they took to eliminate pathogens
from their non-peat compost. Needless to say they did not reply
either because they didn't know, or more probably because they
did nothing to eliminate pathogens.

Most of the compost used in non-peat composts is obtained from
councils who operate a policy of composting green waste for sale
either to individuals or large organisations. We are told NEVER to
incorporate grass cuttings from herbicide treated lawns, in our
compost heaps - so hey! lets just take it down to the tip! This year
I have suffered from herbicide damage to Dahlia seedlings sown
in a well know peat-free compost - seedling distortion and eventually
death. This is not only a waste of money, but more importantly a
waste of my time. Fortunately I have a local source of Irish peat
compost (Mother Earth), never again will I buy a fancy, modern,
environmentally friendly, lethal compost.

Phil

Old 07-04-2015, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2015 11:41, philgurr wrote:
Three or four years ago, I contacted one of the major compost
producers to ask what steps they took to eliminate pathogens
from their non-peat compost. Needless to say they did not reply
either because they didn't know, or more probably because they
did nothing to eliminate pathogens.

Most of the compost used in non-peat composts is obtained from
councils who operate a policy of composting green waste for sale
either to individuals or large organisations. We are told NEVER to
incorporate grass cuttings from herbicide treated lawns, in our
compost heaps - so hey! lets just take it down to the tip!

You may be told that but it isn't necessarily true. A hot heap can
destroy the sorts of broadleaf herbicide used on domestic lawns no
trouble at all. I compost all my grass cutting in a hot heap.

There are a couple of nasty persistent weedkillers around in farming and
industrial grade gardening that have caused serious problems in horse
manure and straw recycling. Which has grumbled about it:

http://conversation.which.co.uk/ener...ardening-wrap/

Chlopyralid and aminopyralid being the main offenders. A slightly less
hysterical analysis of the problem and means of DIY testing at:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/w...d%20Report.pdf

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-04-2015, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"philgurr" wrote

[...]

After various problems with low peat composts, last year I went to our local
GC and asked for the compost with the highest peat content, they couldn't
tell me as they had never been asked that question before. I did find one
with a decent percentage of peat, another GCs own label, so I will check
that out again.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

tiny flies and peat-free compost Michael Savage United Kingdom 6 10-12-2010 09:25 PM
OT. Help! Cheap compost and peat offers. Radar Man United Kingdom 8 18-04-2005 10:09 PM
Coir peat vs peat moss Mark Mantolfo Bonsai 1 21-01-2005 01:38 PM
Compost or peat Sacha United Kingdom 26 05-03-2004 08:51 AM
Non-woven fiber blanket (peat?) Scott Gardening 3 25-06-2003 02:08 PM