Old 02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Kay Easton

Default Compost or peat

In article ww21c.2120$vY.1411@newsfe1-win, Karl Kimpton
writes
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the difference is between compost and peat and
if it does the same thing? Many thanks.
Karl.

Peat:

natural product, basically decomposed plant remains that builds up in
acidic bog areas. Highly endangered habitat in the UK, so avoid using
it.

Compost:

a) decomposed plant remains produced by the gardener in his/her own
compost heap

b) made up mixture used for planting. Commercially available composts
include those based on soil (eg John Innes formulas), soilless composts,
usually based on peat, and peat-free composts based on coir or bark
chippings.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Karl Kimpton" wrote in message
Hi, Can anyone tell me what the difference is between compost and peat

and
if it does the same thing? Many thanks.
Karl.

AFAIK peat (although burning well on the right kind of fire) does not
contain much in the way of nutrients.

It improves soil, giving it water retention and a more open structure (good
for both clay and sandy soils).

It is used to bulk out composts (which should also contain a balance of
nutrients to feed plants).

Not recommended to plant into a bale of Irish Peat (or even Irish Pete).

You can get loam based composts (John Innes 1,2,3) or compost based on other
organic fibre e.g. coir.

The demand for peat is outstripping supply, leading to a loss of natural
habitats.

Unfortunately the alternatives do not seem to perform as well as peat, so
most compost, Gro Bags etc. are still AFAIK peat based.

HTH

Dave R

Old 03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Unfortunately the alternatives do not seem to perform as well as peat, so
most compost, Gro Bags etc. are still AFAIK peat based.

The alternatives are becoming more numerous and are improving. I use New
Horizon peat free, which has performed quite well in tests, and does OK
for me. Nice to handle, too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 PM
D Russell

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Unfortunately the alternatives do not seem to perform as well as peat, so
most compost, Gro Bags etc. are still AFAIK peat based.

The alternatives are becoming more numerous and are improving. I use New
Horizon peat free, which has performed quite well in tests, and does OK
for me. Nice to handle, too.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

On a similar note, the one replacement I would like to see is a reliable
peat replacement for carnivorous plants. I have several Sundews, Pitcher
plants, and Venus fly traps, which could do with potting on. The idea of
buying the 70l bag of pure peat is abhorrent to me, I simply don't want to,
even thoug it is only a few pounds.

So does anybody know if any of the peat replacements are adequate for bog
based carnivorous plants ?

I have found a cheap source of sedge peat, but I find it difficult to
believe that this would be nutrient free like the bog peat, though I haven't
checked online yet

Cheers
Duncan