Old 20-04-2015, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Non-white flowered evergreen climbers

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

"Lonicera henryi is probably a bit vigorous"
That must be the understatement of the year, I have it growing well over
30 ft up in an oak tree. I've known it to grow over 15 ft in a year.
Great in the right place, but over an arch I think not unless it's like
Marble arch.

Like most Lonicera, it can be cut back hard, at least when young, and
so isn't the problem of (say) Clematis armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-04-2015, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

"Lonicera henryi is probably a bit vigorous"
That must be the understatement of the year, I have it growing well over
30 ft up in an oak tree. I've known it to grow over 15 ft in a year.
Great in the right place, but over an arch I think not unless it's like
Marble arch.

Like most Lonicera, it can be cut back hard, at least when young, and
so isn't the problem of (say) Clematis armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There is a form/hybrid of it called Copper Beauty that is a bit less
rampant, but as you say you can cut them as hard as you like.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-04-2015, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/15 11:08, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 16/04/15 22:11, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
My wife asked me to find an evergreen climber for an arch which we have
just replaced. I thought the choice would be pretty large, but that
isn't the case. Just about all are white-flowered, maybe cream, but
good
colour is very rare. The plant would get sun all day, and would be
about
3 metres from a south-facing wall. FWIW, I'm in south Hampshire and the
soil has a fair amount of clay in it.

Consider Bignonia capreolata (cross-vine). It kept most of its leaves
on against a warmish wall in Cambridge, and you are a lot warmer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That's one of the better choices, Lonicera henryi and Lonicera
alseuosmoides
both have some colour. Akebia longiracemosa is proving more evergreen
than
the semi evergreen quinata. but as you said choice is limited unless you
are
in a mild spot, I do OK with Pandorea jasminoides rosea superba and
clytostoma callistegoides but not on a wall you need to be close to the
coast. of the passiflora easily the best is 'Betty Myles Young'

Thanks, Charlie. Akebia longiracemosa looks very interesting - I grew
trifoliata at our previous place. Lonicera henryi is probably a bit
vigorous, but L.alseuosmoides seems to be a bit less of a thug. Having a
look at your "Climbers" webpages, I wondered if Ercilla volubilis might be
ok. I'm sure I've seen that covering a wall somewhere /not/ in the south.

Anyway, I hope to be down your way in June, so looks like the Tuesday or
Wednesday that week is already reserved!

--

Jeff

We are up at Longstock on Monday May 4th if that's any help? I know I have
met you there but have no idea how far you had come to get there!!

Yes, that would be very helpful. If you could bring the Akebia
longiracemosa and Lonicera alseuosmoides that would be great. I'll
probably still try to get to Roseland House in June, but Longstock is a
good insurance in case something prevents me making it in June.

--

Jeff
Old 22-04-2015, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Akebia quinata. If you can compromise on flower colour A. quinata alba
has a fabulous scent.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-04-2015, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Ercilla volubilis would be good and here, it went up a tree to about
20' at least.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Evergreen Climbers Mo United Kingdom 41 29-10-2007 02:47 PM
evergreen climbers suitable for a container steven ballanty Gardening 0 19-04-2007 09:13 PM
Evergreen flowering climbers for a north west facing wall? frankie Gardening 0 07-02-2007 12:22 PM
Evergreen climbers ellgee United Kingdom 7 27-05-2005 09:09 AM
new to this - plus advise for evergreen climbers please? janemace United Kingdom 1 06-04-2005 09:00 AM