Old 16-04-2015, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wallflowers

Bought some of the usual wallflowers in bunches, and now in their 3rd
year they have been stunning. I assume by next year they will be leggy
and woody, so can I take cuttings now, or is there a better time? TIA
Old 16-04-2015, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2015 10:19, stuart noble wrote:
Bought some of the usual wallflowers in bunches, and now in their 3rd
year they have been stunning. I assume by next year they will be leggy
and woody, so can I take cuttings now, or is there a better time? TIA

You will need non-flowering shoots for preference, but you could always
nip the flowers off. I take wallflower cuttings any time the weather is
agreeable (so not mid-winter) and they usually take. In fact, I shall
be taking some cuttings very soon.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-04-2015, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2015 14:40, Spider wrote:
On 16/04/2015 10:19, stuart noble wrote:
Bought some of the usual wallflowers in bunches, and now in their 3rd
year they have been stunning. I assume by next year they will be leggy
and woody, so can I take cuttings now, or is there a better time? TIA

You will need non-flowering shoots for preference, but you could always
nip the flowers off. I take wallflower cuttings any time the weather is
agreeable (so not mid-winter) and they usually take. In fact, I shall
be taking some cuttings very soon.

Thanks. How soon do you ditch the old ones? I rather like them waist
high and a bit scruffy!
Old 16-04-2015, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2015 16:24, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/04/2015 14:40, Spider wrote:
On 16/04/2015 10:19, stuart noble wrote:
Bought some of the usual wallflowers in bunches, and now in their 3rd
year they have been stunning. I assume by next year they will be leggy
and woody, so can I take cuttings now, or is there a better time? TIA

You will need non-flowering shoots for preference, but you could always
nip the flowers off. I take wallflower cuttings any time the weather is
agreeable (so not mid-winter) and they usually take. In fact, I shall
be taking some cuttings very soon.

Thanks. How soon do you ditch the old ones? I rather like them waist
high and a bit scruffy!

I grow mostly the perennial ones (Erysimum), but I was only able to keep
bedding wallflowers for an extra year. They were very straggly and
scruffy by then. If you appreciate them in straggly mode carry on, but
don't forget they're a Brassica relative and can encourage Club Root, so
be careful where you plant them.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-04-2015, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2015 17:49, Spider wrote:
[...]

You could always sow seed now and then transplant the young plants in
June prior to planting them into their final home in Sept/Oct

Old 16-04-2015, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I don't know whether mine are officially perennial but they're all the
one colour (yellow). If they get too scruffy next year, hopefully I'll
have some young plants from this summer's cuttings to replace them

Wallflowers - what do I do with them? Mr Lawes United Kingdom 2 23-10-2003 11:02 PM
Autum.Wintrer Wallflowers trevor.appleton United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 05:22 PM
Wallflowers Scully United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 02:08 AM
splitting up wallflowers? Keith \(Portland\) United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Where can I buy Wallflowers now ?? groundhog United Kingdom 3 30-12-2002 10:42 AM