Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Default Indoor plant ID

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this plant:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v92f2wa0h..._33_57_Pro.jpg

It's been neglected at work and am thinking of taking it home to re-pot. I need to make sure it's not poisonous to pets etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

http://tinyurl.com/p4jynsq

It's been neglected at work and am thinking of taking it home to
re-pot. I need to make sure it's not poisonous to pets etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am no plant expert, but it looks like a rubber plant to me.

Someone who really knows will be along shortly!

--
Chris
Old 11-06-2015, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chrisuk" wrote ...

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this plant:

http://tinyurl.com/p4jynsq

It's been neglected at work and am thinking of taking it home to re-pot.
I need to make sure it's not poisonous to pets etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's common name is the Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica) and that is just a
variegated form. Not difficult to grow and I've seen them the size of oak
trees in the wild. If cut it will leak a white latex liquid which can be
collected to make rubber, another plant is used commercially. This white
latex liquid can be an irritant to some especially in the eyes and is toxic
if ingested.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/06/2015 15:47, Bob Hobden wrote:
"chrisuk" wrote ...

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this plant:

http://tinyurl.com/p4jynsq

It's been neglected at work and am thinking of taking it home to re-pot.
I need to make sure it's not poisonous to pets etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's common name is the Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica) and that is just a
variegated form. Not difficult to grow and I've seen them the size of
oak trees in the wild. If cut it will leak a white latex liquid which
can be collected to make rubber, another plant is used commercially.
This white latex liquid can be an irritant to some especially in the
eyes and is toxic if ingested.

It can easily be air layered if it has a length of bare stem. Make an
upward diagonal cot into the stem below a leaf node and open the cut
with a matchstick. surround with plastic and fill with compost. Seal
the plastic and when there is evidence of roots, cut off and pot.I have
a 6ft plant ehich would have been in excess of 20ft if I had not done this.

Malcolm
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Many thanks for the replies all! I'll definitely be bringing it home tomorrow and repotting it.

I have some left over compost which I used for some outdoor plants:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...t---50l-256282

Would this be appropriate for this plant?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Registered User

Just as a follow up, the plant is now housed in it's new pot. Whilst re-potting, at the bottom of the old pot was an information card. It stated the plant was 'Ficus Tineke'.