Old 14-06-2015, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes

I sowed some in pots 3 weeks ago, I daren't do it before as it's been so
cold. No result. I got some more seed and sowed 3 more today. 2 all green
bush and one goldina and they have polythene bags on now. Is it too late?
Spring gets later and later.

Old 14-06-2015, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 18:24:35 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I sowed some in pots 3 weeks ago, I daren't do it before as it's been so
cold. No result. I got some more seed and sowed 3 more today. 2 all green
bush and one goldina and they have polythene bags on now. Is it too late?
Spring gets later and later.

I would say it's OK. I have been late with them in previous years and no
problem. The ones in my garden are doing very little at the moment either - so
I hope I am correct when I say it is not too late.

Old 18-06-2015, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I sowed some in pots 3 weeks ago, I daren't do it before as it's been so
cold. No result. I got some more seed and sowed 3 more today. 2 all
green
bush and one goldina and they have polythene bags on now. Is it too
late?
Spring gets later and later.

I would say it's OK. I have been late with them in previous years and no
problem. The ones in my garden are doing very little at the moment
either - so
I hope I am correct when I say it is not too late.

Thanks, I'll let you know. The problems with courgettes (and beans) is if
they don't come up, by the time you realise they are not going to and sow
some more, it's nearly too late.
I sowed 8 runner beans. 4 up. 8 climbing french. 3 up. sigh

Old 18-06-2015, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote

"Christina Websell" wrote:

I sowed some in pots 3 weeks ago, I daren't do it before as it's been so
cold. No result. I got some more seed and sowed 3 more today. 2 all
green
bush and one goldina and they have polythene bags on now. Is it too
late?
Spring gets later and later.

I would say it's OK. I have been late with them in previous years and no
problem. The ones in my garden are doing very little at the moment
either - so
I hope I am correct when I say it is not too late.

I've replanted after a 9th June frost in the past and had a crop so I doubt
it's too late. very little seems to be growing well this year so far anyway.
Probably due to the total lack of rain here coupled with the cool nights.
Watering with a watering can just seems to keep them alive.
I planted our Courgettes out just after Chelsea and they have hardly grown.
Cropped our Garlic last week, the dry weather and rust took it's toll.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2015, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I sowed some in pots 3 weeks ago, I daren't do it before as it's been so
cold. No result. I got some more seed and sowed 3 more today. 2 all
green
bush and one goldina and they have polythene bags on now. Is it too
late?
Spring gets later and later.

I would say it's OK. I have been late with them in previous years and no
problem. The ones in my garden are doing very little at the moment
either - so
I hope I am correct when I say it is not too late.

Thanks, I'll let you know. The problems with courgettes (and beans) is if
they don't come up, by the time you realise they are not going to and sow
some more, it's nearly too late.
I sowed 8 runner beans. 4 up. 8 climbing french. 3 up. sigh

Sow more now, they will then crop till the frost with good tender beans.
You must have plenty of spare seed, and how many beans do you need to
cover the cost of a seed?
I'd sow twice as many as you want, you can always remove some if to many
come up.
Used to work on French beans 10 weeks from sowing to picking and runners
12 weeks.

Old 21-06-2015, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Judith in England" wrote

"Christina Websell" wrote:

[...]

The new sowing of courgettes was successful. Just peeping through after 8
days.
Got my garlic up a couple of weeks ago. Has cloved up but not very big
bulbs. No rust, so I'm happy with it.