Old 16-06-2015, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Building up a lawn

The front lawn slopes steeply at one end (around 45 degrees) to
a concrete edging strip. Trouble is over the years the lawn has
sunk around 2 inches below the top of the concrete, making it
difficult to cut and a risk to the mower.

How should I build it up, without making it unsightly?

My initial thought was to use turf, but that would have to be
shaved to a thin strip at he upward end to fit into the rest of
the lawn - not sure how that would work!

Any other ideas?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 17-06-2015, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:

The front lawn slopes steeply at one end (around 45 degrees) to
a concrete edging strip. Trouble is over the years the lawn has
sunk around 2 inches below the top of the concrete, making it
difficult to cut and a risk to the mower.

How should I build it up, without making it unsightly?

My initial thought was to use turf, but that would have to be
shaved to a thin strip at he upward end to fit into the rest of
the lawn - not sure how that would work!

Any other ideas?

The standard technique, which may be difficult in your situation,
is to slit and peel back sections of turf, pack extra soil
underneath as required, then flatten back to the desired profile.

It can take some time, and effort (BTDTGTTS) but works well.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 17-06-2015, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2015 08:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roger Tonkin wrote:

The front lawn slopes steeply at one end (around 45 degrees) to
a concrete edging strip. Trouble is over the years the lawn has
sunk around 2 inches below the top of the concrete, making it
difficult to cut and a risk to the mower.

How should I build it up, without making it unsightly?

My initial thought was to use turf, but that would have to be
shaved to a thin strip at he upward end to fit into the rest of
the lawn - not sure how that would work!

Any other ideas?

The standard technique, which may be difficult in your situation,
is to slit and peel back sections of turf, pack extra soil
underneath as required, then flatten back to the desired profile.

It can take some time, and effort (BTDTGTTS) but works well.

I was inspired to do that to remove a low spot in my previous gardens
lawn after seeing how to do it on gardeners world. What they don't tell
you is that the turf stretches so you will have to trim it to get it
back into the hole afterwards. Should be easier on an edge though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-06-2015, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/2015 21:48, Roger Tonkin wrote:

The front lawn slopes steeply at one end (around 45 degrees) to
a concrete edging strip. Trouble is over the years the lawn has
sunk around 2 inches below the top of the concrete, making it
difficult to cut and a risk to the mower.

Odd. My lawn slowly rises over the years and encroaches on to the paths.

How should I build it up, without making it unsightly?

My initial thought was to use turf, but that would have to be
shaved to a thin strip at he upward end to fit into the rest of
the lawn - not sure how that would work!

Any other ideas?

Lay the turf out and cut into the existing lawn to the depth of the turf
with a spade. Cut into it at the new angle and lay the piece upside down
on the lower part then put the new turf in position.

A thin piece of turf will wither and die. And newly planted turf
requires a lot of tlc and watering to keep it alive in midsummer.
You might be better off waiting until autumn...

I'd be more inclined to add sufficient topsoil and then reseed or peel
the existing turf back and add extra topsoil underneath it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

building raised beds on sloping lawn? JimS. Roses 14 03-02-2011 04:38 PM
building raised beds on sloping lawn? JimS. Roses 0 24-02-2004 03:47 AM
advice wanted on building 10,000 gal koi pond Dennis Ponds 5 02-04-2003 08:56 AM
Pond building adventure ~ jan Ponds 1 25-01-2003 07:55 PM
Need building plans for workshop, and shed? Please Ryan Lawns 0 19-10-2002 04:42 PM