Old 28-06-2015, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What could I put in here

Hi all

I need your help with some suggestions for something to fill a gap in my border, you can see a pic of the gap here

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psq4dbgxwx.jpg

It faces NW and the soil appears to be a sandy loam type affair and isn't particularly rich.

I'm after something that will grow to at least 4-5m and was thinking of a Hawthorn but believe they like a sunny position whereas this only really gets sun in the morning.

Any suggestions of what might work would be much appreciated

Thanks

Old 28-06-2015, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:46:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi all

I need your help with some suggestions for something to fill a gap in my border, you can see a pic of the gap here

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psq4dbgxwx.jpg

It faces NW and the soil appears to be a sandy loam type affair and isn't particularly rich.

I'm after something that will grow to at least 4-5m and was thinking of a Hawthorn but believe they like a sunny position whereas this only really gets sun in the morning.

Any suggestions of what might work would be much appreciated

Thanks

I would use a plant that grows up the wall. The obvious one being Ivy
but there are many others.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 28-06-2015, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi all

I need your help with some suggestions for something to fill a gap in my border, you can see a pic of the gap here

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psq4dbgxwx.jpg

It faces NW and the soil appears to be a sandy loam type affair and isn't particularly rich.

I'm after something that will grow to at least 4-5m and was thinking of a Hawthorn but believe they like a sunny position whereas this only really gets sun in the morning.

Any suggestions of what might work would be much appreciated

Thanks

I would use a plant that grows up the wall. The obvious one being Ivy
but there are many others.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Thanks but really want something free standing that will grow higher than the wall (actually a shed) and give privacy from the neighbours window

Old 28-06-2015, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2015 14:46, wrote:
Hi all

I need your help with some suggestions for something to fill a gap in my border, you can see a pic of the gap here

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psq4dbgxwx.jpg

It faces NW and the soil appears to be a sandy loam type affair and isn't particularly rich.

I'm after something that will grow to at least 4-5m and was thinking of a Hawthorn but believe they like a sunny position whereas this only really gets sun in the morning.

Any suggestions of what might work would be much appreciated

Thanks

I would be tempted to put in an 8ft post then pull the berberis that
seems to be hiding partially behind the Pyracantha across to fill the
gap, in a year or so it will really fill the gap.
You could then also plant a climbing rose to grow up the post as well.