Old 25-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Here is an interesting material to put on your greenhouse

http://www.kalwall.com/about.htm

I can only suspect the cost would be prohibitive, but this stuff is
pretty impressive. An aerogel core with some sort of acrylic casing, it
allows a whole lot of light through, and somewhere it says that a 4 x
35' panel (that is feet!!) weighs only 210 pounds and has an R value of
about 20... Like building with styrofoam board that you can see
through, it seems. Can't find a price though...

They built a lot of Milwaukee's new baseball stadium out of it:
http://www.kalwall.com/15.htm

Somebody build a greenhouse out of this stuff and tell me how it works.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 25-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Ray

One of the problems with most aerogels is their ability to absorb pollutants
out
of the air. As all plastics are porous, it's only a matter of time until it
discolors.

Damned shame, too. I was looking for that greenhouse report, too.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 25-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Shell

Sounds like one of those strictly commercial building materials. Kind of
along the "if you have to ask how much you can't afford it" lines. Too bad
because it sounds like it would make nice skylights for a house too

Shell

Old 26-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:19:54 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

One of the problems with most aerogels is their ability to absorb pollutants
out
of the air. As all plastics are porous, it's only a matter of time until it
discolors.

..................... Isn't that what they used to do with
whitewash on glass walls?

SuE

Old 26-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Ray

But that stuff states specifically that it "resists longwave radiation
(greenhouse effect)" ???

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 26-11-2003, 01:02 PM
TRAINMAN9

ike building with styrofoam board that you can see
through, it seems. Can't find a price though...

This is a sandwich of fiberglas reinforced plastic that has UV inhibitors with
the gel insulation material in between. It is a completly sealed unit and is
currently being used in Europe in residential applications for skylights. The
material would allow about 75% light transmission over the life of the
building. The cost is in the $25.00 per square foot range for a 2x4 foot
skylight. It could be used to construct a greenhouse but the cost would be
prohibitive.

Another new innovative glazing material is IQglas. This is an insulated unit
that has a thin metalic layer fused onto the interior surface of the insulated
unit. By passing electricy through the metal film radiant heat is generated. It
is currently being used in conservatories and swiming pool enclosures. It is
clear with between 75-85% light transmission.

The benefit is that moisture will not condense on the interior surface from the
high humidity and the radiant heat is very efficient. No other heat source is
required. The cost is higher than conventional insulated glass and heating
equipment but it does have a number of advantages. Eventually the cost will
come down as more companies get into the business of producing the products.

Last but not least is vacume glass panels. They are currently being produced at
one of our European facilities. These panels of insulated glass are about 5/8
of an inch overall thickness with two pieces of glass one of which has a low
emmissive coating on the interior surface. The two pieces of glass are
separated by tiny metal spheres to keep them from imploding. The overall
U-value is .1 or an R-value of 10. The light transmission is in the 75-80%
range. This is slightly more economical than the other products being in the
$15 per square foot range.
Old 26-11-2003, 04:12 PM
K Barrett

Great info, but boy! The costs! And I thought $2 per sq ft was a lot for
triplewall! LOL!!

K Barrett

Old 03-12-2003, 03:02 PM
Barry

While in Architecture school (18 yrs ago) I loved this stuff. This comapny
should have paid for my schooling
as much as I promoted it. Hadn't thought of the material since and have
never used it in a real project.