Old 14-09-2015, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Planter

I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J Dixon View Post
I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
I have done quite a bit of fencing this year using tanalised timber. Newly treated it looks quite green, but soon changes to a pleasant light brown. However, the treatment doesn't penetrate very far into the wood and it can start to rot from the cut edges. I have further treated it with creocote which is obtainable in light or dark brown and it doesn't seem to affect any plants growing next to it. You can always line it with plastic if need be, making sure that you have drainage. If you are putting it over the manhole cover just make sure that it isn't too heavy to move should the need arise.
Old 17-09-2015, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/15 23:04, Bigal wrote:
Chris J Dixon;1016144 Wrote:
[...]

+1

I was surprised at the poor penetration when I made some raised beds
from tanalised gravel boards. In the end I put on several coats of
water-based preservative, paying particular attention to the sawn edges.
Only time will tell how successful (or not) this preservative is.

--

Jeff
Old 17-09-2015, 04:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote

I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

You can get galvanised manhole covers made to take paving bricks so a few
inches deep with key holes so they can be lifted should the need arise. No
reason you could not fill with soil and plant in those, for example....
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clark-Drain-...600mm/p/240732
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-09-2015, 06:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 14/09/2015 17:43, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I want to make a simple rectangular planter (1), and don't want
it finished in any of the available garish preservative colours.

I thought I might use Wikes treated sawn gravel boards, with
fence posts for the corner pillars. I'm happy to go with a rough
sawn appearance.

I see that planters on sale seem to come with a plastic sheet
liner, though some of them are made of surprisingly thin timber.

Should I add a clear preservative, do I need a liner, or is it
probably better (and cheaper) to simply use substantial timber,
and replace when it decays?

(1) 600 mm x 800 mm, to match the concrete surround on a manhole
cover.

Chris

Sometimes (perhaps at this time of year?) the sheds seem to sell decking
boards off so cheap that they'd cost less than gravel board, and they're
more robust.

Raised bed planter on a deck? [email protected] Gardening 5 27-05-2003 11:08 PM
Planter boxes and ideas for limited space OhSojourner Gardening 4 25-04-2003 05:08 PM
Neglected planter david United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 10:08 AM
veges in a planter box Trish Brown Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Prunus caroliniana in a planter DAN Gardening 0 18-02-2003 10:03 PM