Old 13-10-2015, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do you remember when?

You would go through a nice sunny summer tending your garden then in
Autumn you would tidy it up, rake up the leaves and look back over the
gardening year then after Xmas you would get the seed catalogues and
would start to plan for the new season.
Now the blasted things seem to come with almost every post, and if the
postman doesn't bring any there are more arriving on line every week.
Do you resist the urge to buy, or do you end up with more seeds than you
can ever get round to sowing?
Old 13-10-2015, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

You would go through a nice sunny summer tending your garden then in Autumn
you would tidy it up, rake up the leaves and look back over the gardening
year then after Xmas you would get the seed catalogues and would start to
plan for the new season.
Now the blasted things seem to come with almost every post, and if the
postman doesn't bring any there are more arriving on line every week.
Do you resist the urge to buy, or do you end up with more seeds than you
can ever get round to sowing?

Stopped buying from the catalogues these days, get free seeds with The
Kitchen Garden and at 50p a packet at Wyvales at the end of the season.
Anything specific, like chillies, we do purchase online but then it's
usually the lesser known seed merchants
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-10-2015, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/2015 17:19, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

You would go through a nice sunny summer tending your garden then in
Autumn you would tidy it up, rake up the leaves and look back over the
gardening year then after Xmas you would get the seed catalogues and
would start to plan for the new season.
Now the blasted things seem to come with almost every post, and if the
postman doesn't bring any there are more arriving on line every week.
Do you resist the urge to buy, or do you end up with more seeds than
you can ever get round to sowing?

Stopped buying from the catalogues these days, get free seeds with The
Kitchen Garden and at 50p a packet at Wyvales at the end of the season.
Anything specific, like chillies, we do purchase online but then it's
usually the lesser known seed merchants

Still have half a packet of sweet pea seeds left from last year's Wyvale
clearout. I've just sown them....

---

Old 15-10-2015, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David Hill" wrote

You would go through a nice sunny summer tending your garden then in
Autumn you would tidy it up, rake up the leaves and look back over the
gardening year then after Xmas you would get the seed catalogues and would
start to plan for the new season.
Now the blasted things seem to come with almost every post, and if the
postman doesn't bring any there are more arriving on line every week.
Do you resist the urge to buy, or do you end up with more seeds than you
can ever get round to sowing?

Stopped buying from the catalogues these days, get free seeds with The
Kitchen Garden and at 50p a packet at Wyvales at the end of the season.
Anything specific, like chillies, we do purchase online but then it's
usually the lesser known seed merchants
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

I do the same as you Bob, get free seeds with the magazines if the value of
the seeds outweigh the cost of the magazine (usually by far).
Any free seeds I cannot grow without a greenhouse, e.g. aubergines and some
tomatoes, I send to my friend in Germany where they have reliably hot
summers and in return she sends me her various heritage bean seeds and other
strange stuff, like seeds for pumpkins that grow so big that it take two
people to lift them. Haven't grown those yet ;-)

Old 17-10-2015, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 5:01:28 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
You would go through a nice sunny summer tending your garden then in
Autumn you would tidy it up, rake up the leaves and look back over the
gardening year then after Xmas you would get the seed catalogues and
would start to plan for the new season.
Now the blasted things seem to come with almost every post, and if the
postman doesn't bring any there are more arriving on line every week.
Do you resist the urge to buy, or do you end up with more seeds than you
can ever get round to sowing?

I just save the one catalogue I use and bin the rest.

Jonathan

Old 19-10-2015, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:13:59 +0200, mike crowe
wrote:

We stopped buying by mail order from any of these cowboys years ago.

Mail order encourages the marketeer to get rid of any old stock.

Go to your own local nursery and see what you are buying, strike up a
rapport with them and they will look after you.

I disabled and can't go anywhere these days so I have to use on-line
companies. I don't order by mail. If there is no picture I don't buy
it. They aren't all cowboys.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 19-10-2015, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We stopped buying by mail order from any of these cowboys years ago.

Mail order encourages the marketeer to get rid of any old stock.

Go to your own local nursery and see what you are buying, strike up a
rapport with them and they will look after you.

I disabled and can't go anywhere these days so I have to use on-line
companies. I don't order by mail. If there is no picture I don't buy
it. They aren't all cowboys.

Very true, I have been using Brookside Nurseries for years. They are
a family run business and they send all their plants out by mail. Carriers are
useless up here, some (dead) plug plants can take up to three weeks
to be delivered. Most garden centres are near Inverness (90 mile
round trip) but we do have one good garden centre (The Green
Wellie) which is only 25 miles away. Being a small family run centre,
their stock is limited but most is obtained locally. The quality is
excellent and they can always order plants which they do not stock.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland