Old 14-01-2016, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mineraly enriched soil?

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

Rockdust. Take a look here

http://www.seercentre.org.uk/

I visited this place years ago and although it was using rockdust as a
dressing, the main growing medium was truckloads of composted waste
supplied by the local council. So I took all claims for the rockdust
effect, with a sack of mineral. :-)

The advertising standards association took the same view

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjud...e-SEER-Centre-
Trust/SHP_ADJ_220444.aspx#.VpfBnFKXOJc

"Therefore, because we did not consider that we had seen sufficient
substantiation to support the claims that the use of the SEER Rockdust
in soil would boost soil fertility and produce stronger and healthier
crops, we concluded that the claims were likely to mislead.

The claims breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading
advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).

Janet.
Old 14-01-2016, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/16 15:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 13:33:57 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 13/01/16 22:55, Charlie Pridham wrote:

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

Charlie's property is in a village that was down-wind of a local arsenic works,
active before WW1

I had wondered why all those plants I bought from Charlie last June
smelt of garlic! ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 14-01-2016, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2016 13:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 13/01/16 22:55, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 13/01/2016 13:02, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

I wonder if there is any evidence that all the Cornish wildlife eating
wild fruit, leaves, stems, etc is being poisoned, and is suffering as a
result.

Its not a problem if you leave well alone, its only when you start
digging or disturbing the natural layers you bring stuff to the surface.
and its only found in some parts of Cornwall not all over. we have found
not digging and mulching plus the leaching downwards due to rain fall
have made the soil here a lot better. I didn't believe the don't grow
veg thing and had the soil and some veg tested. soil was indeed sky high
in all sorts, but the veg once washed were well within acceptable
limits! The truth is we don't grow veg as I am rubbish at doing it!

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-01-2016, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

I wonder if there is any evidence that all the Cornish wildlife eating
wild fruit, leaves, stems, etc is being poisoned, and is suffering as a
result.

While old mine workings and waste tips abound in Cornwall, as a
percentage of total land area they're probably pretty small. Charlie's
property is in a village that was down-wind of a local arsenic works,
active before WW1. Arsenic was produced by heating the ore over a
furnace to distil off the arsenic oxide and then recondensing it in a
series of interconnected brick chambers, known as a labyrinth (or in
local dialect, a lambreth), before venting the flue gas to the
atmosphere via a chimney. Unfortunately the condensing process was not
very efficient and a lot of arsenic smoke escaped through the chimney,
to contaminate land for many hundreds of yards down-wind.

The white refined arsenic oxide powder was shovelled out of the
chambers in the labyrinth by hand, the workers wearing the minimum of
protection, little more that a piece of cloth wrapped around their
faces, or cotton wool stuffed up their noses and in their ears!
http://tinyurl.com/gpwkn4d and http://tinyurl.com/hjqzg8t

AIUI resistance to arsenic can be built up by repeated low dose
exposure. I imagine these guys must have been pretty resistant!

One or two derelict labyrinths still exist, complete with a residue of
arsenic on their walls and floors.

Interesting Chris, I had not heard the term lambreth, I thought they
were called Calciners? (I may have miss spelled that) But you are right
I walk the dog past two nearly every day