Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 AM
andyp

Default Keeping children off garden wall

I have a 3foot wall and suffered similar problems. I planted some standard
pyracantha (sp?) so the tops of the plant rested on the wall. While this was
establishing itself I entwined cut brambles, rose and holly into the
pyracantha.
I no longer suffer people of any age wanting to sit or rest on the wall and
the hedge looks stunning to.

AndyP

"Exiddor" wrote in message
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of

the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

--
Exiddor.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Cupra

"Charlie" wrote in message =
| Could you not just put the paint on top of the wall so that you would =
only
| get covered if you actually sat on it, which would quite possibly be
| trespassing anyway? They're talking about something similar on Essex =
FM
| this morning about trespassers and burglars. Something about a woman =
phoned
| the police after she saw someone in the garden, it took them 4 hours =
to get
| there and catch him and then they told her that if she'd done anything =
then
| she would be the one in prison, not him. It's a terrifying thought as =
| young 18 year old girl who's about to move out on her own!
|=20
| Charlie.
|=20
| "Rick McGreal" wrote in message
| "Charlie" wrote in
| :
|
| "Cupra" wrote in message
| How tall is the wall? If it's quite low then *don't* try =
anti-climb
| paint
| (never dries fully) - she would be liable for damage to clothes!
| Why would you be liable? It's your wall and it's their fault they =
sat
| on
| it!
|
| What if someone were to be blown against your wall by the wind?
| Accidents do happen....
|
| And any effect from your painting that damnages another property you =
can
| be
| liable for....
| This is slso true for large bushes like Hypericum....If they all but =
drip
| pollen.....If the bush over extends your garden and catches someone =
when
| they walk past they can make you pay for any cleaning bills....

|=20
|=20
| ---
|=20
|=20

If the wall's six feet high and there was a warning of paint then you'd =
probably be ok.

What we haven't established is if the wall is next to a public right of =
way or not - if it is then people could 'accidentally' touch the paint =
if the wall was, say, a couple of feet high. If not then I'm sure the =
person covered in paint would struggle to explain how they were on top a =
wall inside private property (unless of course they have right to access =
- fire /police/ambulance/gas etc..!).=20

On to the burglar.... I have heard people talk about reporting intruders =
as armed so the police respond quickly.... I wouldn't condone this of =
course!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Charlie

Martin Day (the DJ) was saying something similar - if they don't respond
quickly, phone them back and tell them your just shot the burglar. They
would be there in a few minutes then! I don't advise this at all, and I'm
entirely sure he was kidding...

Charlie.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM

"Charlie" wrote in message
: Could you not just put the paint on top of the wall so that you would only
: get covered if you actually sat on it, which would quite possibly be
: trespassing anyway? They're talking about something similar on Essex FM
: this morning about trespassers and burglars. Something about a woman
phoned
: the police after she saw someone in the garden, it took them 4 hours to
get
: there and catch him and then they told her that if she'd done anything
then
: she would be the one in prison, not him. It's a terrifying thought as a
: young 18 year old girl who's about to move out on her own!
:
: Charlie.
:
Hello Charlie, and welcome to urg, it's nice to have some young blood here
amongst some of the older generation like me :O))

I wonder if it would be OK if the lady handed them a letter next time they
are on the wall, explaining that she is going to paint it with non-dry paint
and keeps a copy of the letter for herself. Thus, they have been warned.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Drakanthus

Martin Day (the DJ) was saying something similar - if they don't respond
quickly, phone them back and tell them your just shot the burglar. They
would be there in a few minutes then! I don't advise this at all, and I'm
entirely sure he was kidding...

Charlie.

Having witnessed the antics of the police late one night through my bedroom
window, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Some police can be a bit heavy handed.
You just might get shot yourself! I saw a policeman attack an unarmed helpless
drunk with pepper spray one night. The policemen were laughing and joking with
each other on the street about it. I subsequently discovered that the man was
known to the police and had been out celebrating his release from prison. There
was obviously a history of bad blood between them. They arrested the man for
resisting arrest. He wasn't resisting at all - just shouting that he couldn't
see - not surprising really with a face full of pepper spray.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Randall P. McMurphy

go to http://www.screwfix.com

search for ANTI BURGLAR PAINT BLACK

paint it on the top of the wall........worked for me!

rpm

Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 AM

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
[...]
: --
: Drakanthus.
:
:
: (Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
: will never reach me.)

Did you report the police for their behaviour?
:
:

Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Exiddor

"Exiddor" wrote in message
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

[...]

Yes I think this, or some other kind of hedge, will turn out to be the most
cost-effective solution.

Thanks for all the replies - I read all of them with interest. I'd already
considered most of these solutions but decided against them for various
reasons. The wall is a "normal" garden wall about 2.5 feet high and is
adjacent to a public highway - actually, at the entrance to a cul-de-sac so
all the occupants have to walk past our properties. It's a "nice" area
apart from this particular group of lads. I'd therefore discounted razor
wire, non-drying paint, etc as these would be sure to cause problems.

I notice someone suggested bird droppings along the top of the wall may do
the trick - I'd already considered dog or cat faeces smeared along the wall
but, apart from the unsightliness, I think this would leave my neighbour
open to legal action for cleaning the clothes of anyone who happened to
brush against the wall.

I already had a "friendly" chat with the lads in question when I had the
same problem myself. This did, in fact, prove effective for a while and
they actually started to smile at me and say "Hello", but once they've
finished a couple of bottles of vodka and smoked a few of whatever they're
smoking there's no reasoning with them.

I'll post again when we decide on a possible solution.

--
Exiddor.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Randall P. McMurphy

"Randall P. McMurphy" wrote in message
| go to http://www.screwfix.com
|
| search for ANTI BURGLAR PAINT BLACK
|
| paint it on the top of the wall........worked for me!
|
| rpm

don't forget to buy the accompanying warning sign!

rpm

Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Rick McGreal

"Charlie" wrote in
:

Martin Day (the DJ) was saying something similar - if they don't
respond quickly, phone them back and tell them your just shot the
burglar. They would be there in a few minutes then! I don't advise
this at all, and I'm entirely sure he was kidding...

Well.....The lawyers will probably be there quicker than the police...

It least they will be on hand to help with the cleaning up....

B-)

Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Rick McGreal

Exiddor wrote in
:

Thanks for all the replies - I read all of them with interest. I'd
already considered most of these solutions but decided against them
for various reasons. The wall is a "normal" garden wall about 2.5
feet high and is adjacent to a public highway - actually, at the
entrance to a cul-de-sac so all the occupants have to walk past our
properties.

This sounds almost exactly like mine...
But at the moment I don't have Kids sitting on the wall....
But the area they hang out is being cleaned up so I get the feeling that my
wall will soon be used!

I already had a "friendly" chat with the lads in question when I had
the same problem myself. This did, in fact, prove effective for a
while and they actually started to smile at me and say "Hello", but
once they've finished a couple of bottles of vodka and smoked a few of
whatever they're smoking there's no reasoning with them.

Just keep up the friendly act....Maybe they will move on to other areas....

Perhaps they will simply stop....
Old 08-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Drakanthus

Did you report the police for their behaviour?
:

To the police themselves? No chance. I used to naively believe that the police
were all good guys until I saw that attack. Besides it would just have been my
word (and that of the drunk) against that of three policemen. There is no telling
what crimes I might have suddenly found myself accused of in such circumstances!

Old 08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
hayley

(www.house.co.uk offers the data under there 'move home' link - a bit
tedious to get there but a wealth of information is available.)

http://www.upmystreet.com/ is also very good - look for the "acorn survey"
results, then go into "detailed survey".
Hayley

Old 08-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Bevan Price

"Exiddor" wrote in message
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of

the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

--
Exiddor.

Water sprinkler in garden which just happens to spray water onto the wall ?

Bevan