Old 08-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Exiddor

Default Keeping children off garden wall

I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

--
Exiddor.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Charlie

Put some form of glue along it so that when they sit on it they stick...

that'll teach em, and rip their 'orrible clothes! (I say that firmly tongue
in cheek, possibly being the same age as them).

Charlie.

"Exiddor" wrote in message
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of

the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

--
Exiddor.

---

Old 08-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Mike

In article , Exiddor
writes
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

I had this problem until I went out to them and explained that there is
a lady opposite who has to be up early in the morning to go to work as a
nurse and that others also would appreciate some peace and quiet.

You will find that if you approach them in a civil manner, they will
listen and act accordingly, go out there and raise the roof with them
and threaten all sorts of actions, then you will only get their backs
up.

Mike

Bringing up teenagers is like trying to nail jelly to a tree

Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Cupra

"Exiddor" wrote in message =
| I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
| disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting =
until
| the early hours.
|=20
| I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section =
of the
| garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not =
afford
| anything like this.
|=20
| Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?
|=20
| --=20
| Exiddor.

How tall is the wall? If it's quite low then *don't* try anti-climb =
paint (never dries fully) - she would be liable for damage to clothes!

Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Charlie

Why would you be liable? It's your wall and it's their fault they sat on
it!

Charlie.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Mike
writes
In article , Exiddor
writes
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

You will find that if you approach them in a civil manner, they will
listen and act accordingly,

I would agree that this is a good initial idea but sometimes
preventative action is the only solution.

--
dave @ stejonda

?why do Americans chatter during live theatre?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message
Why would you be liable? It's your wall and it's their fault they sat on
it!

Q: Can I put barbed wire/anti climb paint etc. on top of fences/walls to
deter burglars?
A: Some forms of topping, such as barbed wire and anti climb paint can be
used, but with care.

Be aware of the Occupiers Liability Act of 1984, which gives a duty of care
to any occupier to take all reasonable steps to prevent injury to any person
on the property. This applies whether the person is there lawfully or not.
Signs warning of any topping are always a good idea and could help you if
any legal proceedings are taken against you.

If the wall or fence adjoins a public highway, the Highways Act of 1980
states that reasonable steps must be taken to ensure that no injury is
caused to those using the highway.

Barbed wire etc should never be used where there is any potential danger to
children

Fences and walls should never be topped with carpet gripper, nails, broken
glass etc.

Source:
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/fa...Action=Q&ID=41

pk

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Rick McGreal

"Charlie" wrote in
:

"Cupra" wrote in message

How tall is the wall? If it's quite low then *don't* try anti-climb paint

(never dries fully) - she would be liable for damage to clothes!
Why would you be liable? It's your wall and it's their fault they sat on
it!

What if someone were to be blown against your wall by the wind?
Accidents do happen....

And any effect from your painting that damnages another property you can be
liable for....
This is slso true for large bushes like Hypericum....If they all but drip
pollen.....If the bush over extends your garden and catches someone when
they walk past they can make you pay for any cleaning bills....

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Charlie

Could you not just put the paint on top of the wall so that you would only
get covered if you actually sat on it, which would quite possibly be
trespassing anyway? They're talking about something similar on Essex FM
this morning about trespassers and burglars. Something about a woman phoned
the police after she saw someone in the garden, it took them 4 hours to get
there and catch him and then they told her that if she'd done anything then
she would be the one in prison, not him. It's a terrifying thought as a
young 18 year old girl who's about to move out on her own!

Charlie.

"Rick McGreal" wrote in message
"Charlie" wrote in
:

Old 08-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Rick McGreal

Exiddor wrote in
:

I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting
until the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section
of the garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can
not afford anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

Well....If you are in a council area then you could make a complaint to
them....

If you have a local bobby walking about (Rare I know!) then perhaps a quiet
word with him?....Or just drop into your local station for a 5 second chat?

If you know who the kids parents are maybe you could have a word with them
just to point out what they are doing....Don't get angry or stroppy as it
probably won't work....

The only other suggestion is to go see your local Citizens Advice
Bureau....They could probably give you the best advice....

Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Rick McGreal

"Charlie" wrote in
:

Could you not just put the paint on top of the wall so that you would
only get covered if you actually sat on it, which would quite possibly
be trespassing anyway? They're talking about something similar on
Essex FM this morning about trespassers and burglars. Something about
a woman phoned the police after she saw someone in the garden, it took
them 4 hours to get there and catch him and then they told her that if
she'd done anything then she would be the one in prison, not him.
It's a terrifying thought as a young 18 year old girl who's about to
move out on her own!

To be honest the way the law is at the moment any kind of radical
protection scheme is porobably going to backfire on you....

The best advice I can think of is to try not to advertise that you have
goods worth stealing.....

As a person who has suffered just simple vandalism for no good reason I can
sypathise with others.....
I'd love to be able to put in a laser point defense system to vaporise
anyone that wanders into my garden.....But alas the law looks after
criminals rather than the victims.....B-(

The only other suggestion is not to move to a place where there is a lot of
social problems....Although how do you know until you move there?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 AM
hayley

I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of

the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not

afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

brambles and/or stinging nettles.
Hayley

Old 08-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Drakanthus

The only other suggestion is not to move to a place where there is a lot of
social problems....Although how do you know until you move there?

There are a few useful barometers. I would never move to anywhere that had smashed
bus shelters, graffiti in public places or shops with lots of metal roller
shutters. Bit of a rough and ready measure but surprisingly accurate. For a more
scientific approach you can get free details on the internet for specific areas
giving statistics on crime, car crime, burglary, house prices, local council tax
levels etc. (www.house.co.uk offers the data under there 'move home' link - a bit
tedious to get there but a wealth of information is available.)

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Colin Davidson

"Exiddor" wrote in message
I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting

until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of

the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

Looking at the solutions so far, there doesn't seem to be much that can
legally be done. Maybe a wooden trellis with roses or brambles growing up
it? What about putting lots of bird seed, bread crumbs and raisins on the
wall so it gets coated with soggy bird droppings? Would either of these
approaches be legal?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
A.Malhotra

Exiddor wrote:

I live in a semi located on a corner of a road and we are constantly
disturbed by youths sitting on the garden wall, drinking and shouting until
the early hours.

I solved the problem by putting railings along the top of my section of the
garden wall, but my neighbour (an old lady of 70-something) can not afford
anything like this.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (legal!) solution to this problem?

--
Exiddor.

Why not grow a thorny plant up and along the wall: eg roses, brambles
(fruiting ones, might as well get something out of it). A few wires can be
streched along the wall to give some support. Something like
kiftsgate/rambling rector grows fast and vast and sends horizontal branches
of increadible size along a wall really quickly, from which lots of
flowering side branches grow vertically. We do this to keep the cats off
the walls but the thorns are substantial enough to deter children too.
Anita