Old 23-04-2016, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond Pump Won't Start

Hi All,

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.

It's all clean, nothing is clogged, I've had the impeller out and
cleaned it, I've cleaned out the space inside the coils where the
impeller magnet are with cotton buds, it's all clean.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Old 24-04-2016, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 18:29:02 +0100, Ian ian@none wrote:

Hi All,

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.

It's all clean, nothing is clogged, I've had the impeller out and
cleaned it, I've cleaned out the space inside the coils where the
impeller magnet are with cotton buds, it's all clean.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

It's probably a worn impeller shaft so the whole impeller is slightly
off centre.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 24-04-2016, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian wrote:

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.#

If it has a start capacitor, that could have failed, whether that would
be accessible to replace it on a submersible pump is another matter ...

Old 24-04-2016, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote

Ian ian@none wrote:

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.

It's all clean, nothing is clogged, I've had the impeller out and
cleaned it, I've cleaned out the space inside the coils where the
impeller magnet are with cotton buds, it's all clean.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

It's probably a worn impeller shaft so the whole impeller is slightly
off centre.

I agree, it is usually a worn impeller shaft allowing it to rub on the side,
once running and centred it will keep running. I believe they are
replaceable as a spare part.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-05-2016, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian ian@none wrote:

I've got an Oase 1700 pump in the pond.
When I turn it on, the impeller won't start, it just vibrates a little.
If I take off the inlet cap and nudge the impeller, it starts.
I then put the inlet cap back on, and it'll run indefinitely.

It's all clean, nothing is clogged, I've had the impeller out and
cleaned it, I've cleaned out the space inside the coils where the
impeller magnet are with cotton buds, it's all clean.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

It's probably a worn impeller shaft so the whole impeller is slightly
off centre.

I agree, it is usually a worn impeller shaft allowing it to rub on the
side, once running and centred it will keep running. I believe they are
replaceable as a spare part.

Exactly right, mine was almost worn through at either end.
Replaced & all ok.

Thanks All.

mower won't start brusbrother Lawns 2 11-06-2006 02:22 PM
Lawn Tractor Won't Start Alan Whitehouse Lawns 6 09-11-2005 03:43 PM
Won't Start/ Craftsman Garden Tractor/23 hp Kohler V-twin engine jeff Lawns 3 08-09-2005 12:44 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start Big Al Gardening 5 27-05-2003 05:32 PM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor 22hp Kohler - Died and won't start! Help David J. Bockman Gardening 14 13-05-2003 07:44 PM