Old 17-12-2017, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snapdragons - funny old world

Bought a couple of snapdragons to brighten up a bed, and planted them side
by side.
The pink one is still flowering but the white one isn't.

I have no idea why they should behave differently.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 17-12-2017, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Dec 2017 12:20:31 GMT, David wrote:

Bought a couple of snapdragons to brighten up a bed, and planted them side
by side.
The pink one is still flowering but the white one isn't.

I have no idea why they should behave differently.

Cheers

Dave

I find them the best and longest flowering bedding plants. Pinching-out and
deadheading turns them into perennials although they get quite tall and
woody. I've never tried cuttings, but that probably works too.
--
Jim S
Old 17-12-2017, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Dec 2017 14:54, Jim S wrote:
On 17 Dec 2017 12:20:31 GMT, David wrote:

Bought a couple of snapdragons to brighten up a bed, and planted them side
by side.
The pink one is still flowering but the white one isn't.

I have no idea why they should behave differently.

Cheers

Dave

I find them the best and longest flowering bedding plants. Pinching-out and
deadheading turns them into perennials although they get quite tall and
woody. I've never tried cuttings, but that probably works too.

I find I can keep them going for a couple of years but not much
longer. Cuttings do work and I've done that with some self seeders
that came up a stunning dark mauve. In fact it's rather interesting
saving seed to see what you get, I started with all pink and got
cream, mauve, yellow white....
all were beautiful too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 19-12-2017, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2017 22:17, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 17 Dec 2017 14:54, Jim S wrote:
On 17 Dec 2017 12:20:31 GMT, David wrote:

Bought a couple of snapdragons to brighten up a bed, and planted them side
by side.
The pink one is still flowering but the white one isn't.

I have no idea why they should behave differently.

How much shelter they have and some are borderline cold hardy. At least
they are in a mild winter. I have overwintered a few in the garden and
let them take up their natural habit as a short lived perennial.

What seem to happen if they are not too heavily frosted is that a new
branching regrowth comes from the top of the previous years flower
spike. I have only seen this in the mildest of winters and for the most
sheltered of plants. Often the woody roots and thickest stems do survive
even quite bad winters and they produce plenty of seed.

I find them the best and longest flowering bedding plants. Pinching-out and
deadheading turns them into perennials although they get quite tall and
woody. I've never tried cuttings, but that probably works too.

I find I can keep them going for a couple of years but not much
longer. Cuttings do work and I've done that with some self seeders
that came up a stunning dark mauve. In fact it's rather interesting
saving seed to see what you get, I started with all pink and got
cream, mauve, yellow white....
all were beautiful too.

Eventually cold and rot will get them in the UK.
Good drainage keeps them alive for longer.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 19-12-2017, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/12/2017 10:08, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Â* all were beautiful too.

Eventually cold and rot will get them in the UK.
Good drainage keeps them alive for longer.

They can be quite persistent when established on walls. I think some
sites survived Dec' 09, Jan' 10, Dec' 10 and Mar' 13.

--
alias Ernest Major

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 08:45 PM
Butterfly Snapdragons [email protected] Gardening 2 27-04-2005 02:32 PM
Sad Snapdragons Ven United Kingdom 1 18-09-2003 08:35 PM
Snapdragons (Anthirrinums) Scully United Kingdom 4 08-06-2003 03:32 PM
Snapdragons (Anthirrinums) Scully United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 06:32 AM