Old 25-01-2018, 06:37 PM
Registered User

Default Help with identifying a tree in East London, UK?

Hi, I have been searching tree websites in vain, trying to find the name of a tree in my neighbourhood that intrigues me.

It keeps all its leave all winter, but appears to be a deciduous rather than an evergreen tree!

Here's what I can see:

Height -- extremely tall, tallest above other nearby trees

Shape: creates a large, wide shape (not spindly but spread out wide and tall)

Bark: Can only see from a distance but looks smooth, pale tan-brown (camel coloured)

Leaves: smooth oval shaped "leaflets" I think they would be called.

Never drops its leaves in Autumn! Stays looking like a summer tree all winter. All leaves are green, never turn brown.

Eliminated: I know it's not oak, willow, silver birch or an evergreen/conifer.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 25-01-2018, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2018 18:37, Breeze wrote:
Hi, I have been searching tree websites in vain, trying to find the name
of a tree in my neighbourhood that intrigues me.

It keeps all its leave all winter, but appears to be a deciduous rather
than an evergreen tree!

Here's what I can see:

Height -- extremely tall, tallest above other nearby trees

Shape: creates a large, wide shape (not spindly but spread out wide and
tall)

Bark: Can only see from a distance but looks smooth, pale tan-brown
(camel coloured)

Leaves: smooth oval shaped "leaflets" I think they would be called.

Never drops its leaves in Autumn! Stays looking like a summer tree all
winter. All leaves are green, never turn brown.

Eliminated: I know it's not oak, willow, silver birch or an
evergreen/conifer.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Photo please.

Sounds a bit like a eucalyptus of some sort.

Andy
Old 25-01-2018, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:33:00 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

[...]

Eucalyptus was my thought as well.

---

Old 25-01-2018, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2018 18:37, Breeze wrote:
Hi, I have been searching tree websites in vain, trying to find the name
of a tree in my neighbourhood that intrigues me.

London Tree map?

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do...ondon-tree-map

drag the map to your location to see if it gives any clues to the tree
types in your area

Old 26-01-2018, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 11:37:22 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 25/01/2018 18:37, Breeze wrote:
Hi, I have been searching tree websites in vain, trying to find the name
of a tree in my neighbourhood that intrigues me.

London Tree map?

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do...ondon-tree-map

drag the map to your location to see if it gives any clues to the tree
types in your area

What a great site! Shame it doesn't seem to be complete, or completely accurate, but still very interesting

Old 26-01-2018, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2018 18:58, stuart noble wrote:
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 11:37:22 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
London Tree map?

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do...ondon-tree-map

drag the map to your location to see if it gives any clues to the tree
types in your area

What a great site! Shame it doesn't seem to be complete, or completely accurate, but still very interesting

Looking at it, it seems to be one that TfL have put together to help
them keep bus routes clear, It claims about one tree in ten of what is
actually there, and the coverage is concentrated along roads that I know
are bus routes. The rest are probably trees where there is a tree
preservation order in place either for the individual tree or for the
whole area.

Only another 7 million to go...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old 27-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Registered User

Thanks for these responses, everyone!

Here are links to TinyPic where I've posted three photos, one is a zoom on the leaves, the next is the trunk of the tree, last is a long shot of the tree -- it's taller than the two-story terrace houses around it (it's in someone's back garden).

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Old 27-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Registered User

I'm looking at eucalyptus trees on Google Images and I do see trees that resemble the one I'm identifying -- I didn't know they can grow in England!

Are they the only non-conifer that stays green all winter? I see other green trees at the moment in the same area (I'm in Wanstead E11) although not all look like this tree.

I'm fascinated by trees that don't shed in autumn as it's such a lovely sight to still see green leaves in the dead of winter while all other trees are bare.
Old 27-01-2018, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for these responses, everyone!

Here are links to TinyPic where I've posted three photos, one is a zoom
on the leaves, the next is the trunk of the tree, last is a long shot of
the tree -- it's taller than the two-story terrace houses around it
(it's in someone's back garden).

'Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting'
(http://tinypic.com/r/255kpcj/9)

'Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting'
(http://tinypic.com/r/wvs4t4/9)

'Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting'
(http://tinypic.com/r/i2txc0/9)

Eucalyptus certainly, but which one? From memory it could be Viminalis? I
had one many years ago but it blew down in a gale at about half that height!

Old 27-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Registered User

Smile

Thank you SO, SO much, all of you!

Eucalyptus gunnii / Cider gum -- I'm very grateful for your expertise!

I have no garden of my own, but I love and admire what grows around me and I covet other people's beautiful trees, haha!

Thank you immensely for clearing up what was for me a mystery!