Old 22-04-2018, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yesterday

My camellias and star magnolias are in full flower, the pond fish are
hungry, birds are nesting, lambs skipping in the field over the hedge.
Rhubarb is ready for first pick (today's lunch).

Yesterday was a lovely day here, sunny and breezy, 19 C. Two loads of
laundry dried on the line. J mowed our lawn, first cut of the season and
heavy going because autumn and winter were too sodden for the final cut
it needed last season. It's still very damp and mossy, evidence of local
climate getting wetter in past few years.

He also took out an old hawthorn from the boundary hedge, giving access
to replace a rotted gate post on the boundary stockfence. I was going to
burn it all but a rowing friend wants the trunk for woodturning.

I did a lot more pruning of dead stuff and overgrowth on bamboos and
tall grasses, raked moss out of the courtyard gravel, and potted up a
few hebe seedlings that had self-sown into it. Cleared off all last
years dead stalks in the herb garden; the new marjoram fennel and chives
are all up but no mints yet. Haystack of dead stuff was taller than me
so I burned it; good thing I did because today is grey and drizzly.

Janet UK

---
http://www.avg.com