Old 19-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Madgardener

Default OT e-mail messages since yesterday

Since yesterday I have received a total of 215 e-mail message that says it's
"Microsoft Security patch", or Network security patch, or Administrator mail
notice security update, mail security, postmaster security notice........ALL
of these have bogged up and bogged down my computer, last nights 45 messages
indicated it was going to take THREE HOURS to download. I left Outlook open
in the send/receive mode and this morning when I got up, those first 45
messages were ALL that message with that message. I deleted them all. When
I hit the send/receive button again was when I got another indication there
were 141 MORE messages and this time it said it would take TEN HOURS to
download them all. Squire went to Bellsouth's webpage and to my e-mail
account and viewed all the messages after we closed Outlooks window and all
141 (with exception to three) were the messages I've mentioned above. We
deleted them all. These are insidious worm viruses that boogers up your
computer. You've been warned. Please don't flame me for telling you
something you might already know about, I'm just trying to be nice and let
those that might not know about it. Off to werk...........
madgardener

Old 19-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Louis Ohland

Is the sender the same for all of them? I got flooded from a server in
Holland (supposedly), sent the site a notice, but the messages were
still piling up faster than my cable connection could download.

I gave up, called my ISP, changed my address, and had them delete my
old address entirely.
Old 19-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Grandpa

I've had just over 300 so far as someone is flooding the
rec.coin.collecting newsgroup with the same stuff.

Old 19-09-2003, 05:02 PM
rosie readandpost

Old 19-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Louis Ohland

Yep, I called it SPAM just for ease. It's more precise to say that the
server was infected. But they still are / were spewing out a lot of
traffic. Where the heck is their staff? They should wake up and look at
their logs once in a while.

On a related note, my Autumn Joy sedum performed extravagently this
year. Bees just love 'em. The Blue Spirea needs to be pruned back next
year, the blooms were a bit thin compared to last year. Speedwell and
Ladybells put out.

Monkshood just starting to bud. They should be spectacular. 4 feet
tall.

Old 19-09-2003, 08:22 PM
zxcvbob

Madgardener wrote:

[...]

I received over a thousand. As soon as I deleted everything off the
server, another 30 or 40 would come along and max out my server quota
again. I called my ISP last night and they said it wasn't their
problem. I called them again today and reported it as a "distributed
denial of service attack" (which is sort of true but a bit of a stretch)
and that got their attention. They showed me how to get into the
administrative tools for the server. I set up an overly crude filter
for my account that deletes any message greater than 140K. I need to
add some more conditions, but it's awfully cryptic. Anything over 100K
is seldom worth reading anyway.

ISP should really be scanning for viruses. Server space and network
bandwidth cost them money; I pointed that out to them. They gave me a
case number and I haven't heard back...

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 19-09-2003, 09:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

This is the main reason I stopped using a working email address in my
newsreader. i used to use my real name and email all the time (I had
no fear of what I was saying/posting). Now I use a fake
) for everything by default. I got none from this
particualr infection. Though I understand the pain as a day does not
go by that I don't receive viruses in my email. I have a website that
has been translated into multiple languages and mirrored in foreign
countries so worms that pick addresses from pages visited hit me
heavy. No matter what country they start infecting from I get them.

"Madgardener" wrote:

[...]

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 19-09-2003, 10:32 PM
The Q

Luckily I only received 21 "microsoft messages" oddly some were on my
Private email address I never use in the groups

The Q

Old 19-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Madgardener

the sender is supposedly from Microsoft, as well as Administrator, and
Postmaster and I think Netserver. ALL of them have messages that exceed 425
KB. If I were to download these shits, my computer would take 10 hours. Now
I just go to the browser and look at my mail thru BellSouth first, delete
the messages that have this crap, and then close that out and open Outlook
and load my true messages. When I got home, there were 59..........these
people have waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.........
madgardener

Old 20-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Madgardener

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message

Yep, I called it SPAM just for ease. It's more precise to say that the
server was infected. But they still are / were spewing out a lot of
traffic. Where the heck is their staff? They should wake up and look at
their logs once in a while.

On a related note, my Autumn Joy sedum performed extravagently this
year. Bees just love 'em. The Blue Spirea needs to be pruned back next
year, the blooms were a bit thin compared to last year. Speedwell and
Ladybells put out.

Sedums here are just getting cranked up. And yes, the bees adore them. I
look at them doing the hoe-down on the broccoli like tops and it's great
entertainment. Ummmm BLUE Spirea????? You mean the flowers are BLUE?? or
what? I have a nice little clump of Ladybells, but I wish I had a larger
clump of them. They transplant nicely. Next year I think I will just divide
them and see what happens. I can't find them anywhere and I got my clump
from Mary Emma, (whom you might have seen mentioned before in previous posts
of mine g)

Monkshood just starting to bud. They should be spectacular. 4 feet
tall.

Ohhhhh Monkshood........I would love to try that one, but I don't know what
zone it's really happy with. (we're 7 now, but I am beginning to think we
will have one helluva winter......) Gentian is another one. Thanks for the
garden chat, it was neat.
madgardener

Old 20-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Daniel

Another simple matter is to just use the regular AT for the @ sign and DOT
for the . Then the Bots will not harvest your e-mail address and regular
people can figure your address out. Or you can just change it to anything
you want it to say.

Dan

Old 20-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Jim Elbrecht

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:51:17 +0100, "The Q"
wrote:

Luckily I only received 21 "microsoft messages" oddly some were on my
Private email address I never use in the groups

Interesting. [the private email address] Have you searched google
groups by address to see if you ever forgot & used it or mentioned it
on usenet? That is supposedly the idea of the SWEN virus [NEWS
backwards]-- it target Usenet-used addresses.

Of course you might have a few of the 6-8 month old Gibe worm which
uses outlook's address book.

If they are SWEN, give
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search a try-- put your
address in the 'author is' field, and separately try it in the 'all
the words' field.

I've never munged my address & have had this same address for 5 years
or so, so I've been getting them at 50-100 an hour since yesterday.
[only 400 overnight, so it might be slowing down]

It's a shame that such clever people feel the need to waste their time
vandalizing strangers.

Jim
Old 20-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Louis Ohland

I'm in Southern Wisconsin (the Banana Belt). Zone 5 (but close to Zone
4)

Ummmm BLUE Spirea????? You mean the flowers are BLUE??

Yes, the true name is caryopteris. They are in available through most
gardening catalogs (Parks, Wayside, Jung, more)

nice little clump of Ladybells,

Tough as nails, a bit weedy and unkempt, but they perform well, even
under a big maple and 2-3 hours of direct sun.

Monkshood just starting to bud. They should be spectacular. 4 feet
tall.

Ohhhhh Monkshood........

We're high Zone 5. They are in well drained soil, with compost, 2-3
hours of direct sun. I had to clear a bed of Lily of the Valley that I
foolishly started, about 10x30 feet. Now I'm filling it in.

Another little green shocktroop is Leopard's Bane. Boldly incised glossy
green leaves (not like japanese maples, though). Yellow flowers, like
sunflowers, with a central fuzzy disc, surrounded by thin petals. The
blooms last three weeks. Right next to the monkshood.

Something that has finally caught on is Snakeroot or Cimifuega. Arching
bottle-brush flower stalks on top of a 4 foot plant, smells like lilac.
Same bed, a bit more shade. They do poorly in dry shade.

Solomon seal might do well for you, shady to part shade, they do need
good rdainage. But they aren't fussy.

Rambling buttercup may work for you, grows in part shade, looks even
weedier than ladybells, but the yellow, "pearlized" blooms are to die
for.

will have one helluva winter......) Gentian is another one.

The winter won't be so bad, if we could get some snow this winter.
2002-2003 was bad, where it got sub-zero for a few weeks, but the ground
had no snow cover.
Old 21-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Madgardener

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I'm in Southern Wisconsin (the Banana Belt). Zone 5 (but close to Zone
4)

Ummmm BLUE Spirea????? You mean the flowers are BLUE??

Yes, the true name is caryopteris. They are in available through most
gardening catalogs (Parks, Wayside, Jung, more)

ahhhhh, I have blue Caryopteris. Didn't know it had a common name of blue
spirea....(kinda like the "false astilbe" is Salix......

nice little clump of Ladybells,

Tough as nails, a bit weedy and unkempt, but they perform well, even
under a big maple and 2-3 hours of direct sun.

Monkshood just starting to bud. They should be spectacular. 4 feet
tall.

Ohhhhh Monkshood........

We're high Zone 5. They are in well drained soil, with compost, 2-3
hours of direct sun. I had to clear a bed of Lily of the Valley that I
foolishly started, about 10x30 feet. Now I'm filling it in.

Another little green shocktroop is Leopard's Bane. Boldly incised glossy
green leaves (not like japanese maples, though). Yellow flowers, like
sunflowers, with a central fuzzy disc, surrounded by thin petals. The
blooms last three weeks. Right next to the monkshood.

Can't find a source for Leopards Bane other than teeny little plants. Would
love to find a nursery that had a gallon pot of
this...............sigh....makes me sometimes want to have that perennial
nursery I long to have but after working at Lowe's it's a serious
deterrant...........I found Leopard's bane years ago and I should have tried
it somewhere other than under the black cherry tree first. Never saw a pot
of it again.

Something that has finally caught on is Snakeroot or Cimifuega. Arching
bottle-brush flower stalks on top of a 4 foot plant, smells like lilac.
Same bed, a bit more shade. They do poorly in dry shade.

The Snakeroot is actually a wildflower here, but I am determined to have
Black Cohosh for myself by next spring because my woods ARE dry shade.

Solomon seal might do well for you, shady to part shade, they do need
good rdainage. But they aren't fussy.

I have varigated Solomon's seal, and it does fine, am going to transplant
some to another spot to build up my supply. don't have the regular kind....

Rambling buttercup may work for you, grows in part shade, looks even
weedier than ladybells, but the yellow, "pearlized" blooms are to die
for.

If you mean the true buttercup flower, with the strawberry like leaves,
makes runner plants and the flower rises above the leaves like glossy,
yellow little mums the size of your little fingernail, I lost all mine years
ago and would LOVE some more to establish. I miss it terribly. It was one
of my successful plants I brought with me from Nashville. If you have a few
to spare.....................g as I have NEVER seen a source for those
ever. They came with my previous house and left with me when I moved in
1992. I haven't had them since sharing them with a relative five years ago.

will have one helluva winter......) Gentian is another one.

The winter won't be so bad, if we could get some snow this winter.
2002-2003 was bad, where it got sub-zero for a few weeks, but the ground
had no snow cover.

We had snow last year, but I have a feeling this year we're going to get a
REAL winter.......(just as they're changed our zone from 6b to
7.........we'll see)
Thanks for hollering back. Let me know if you have a reliable source for the
ranaculous rambling buttercup. I'd love a hunk of it to restart a plot.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee