Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Fig Tree - C'mon, people - help!

On Sun, 11 May 2003 14:26:11 +0100, Bigjon
wrote:

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....

Can't help Duncan, but AIUI figs need a restricted root system to get
them to fruit, e.g. in a barrel, tub or whatever, even if that is then
sunk in the soil.

--
Chris

Old 12-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:59:48 +0100, Anthony E Anson
wrote:

Now I'm debating on whether to grow my Brown Turkey in an enclosed pit,
or in a big container above ground level.

Bob Flowerdew's advice, which I intend following when I do plant a
fig, is to sink an old washing machine drum in the ground and plant it
in that. it restricts the roots but allows water to pass through.

I like that. (I know Bob quite well, [1] but now the shop has moved out
of Diss I see him less often)

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

[1] for certain values of quite
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Anthony E Anson wrote in
:

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and
its varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

I think that's not quite right. I've seen a list of about 3 named
varieties for sale in the UK,

ITYF even that was a variety of Brown Turkey. All the books I've read
on fig growing have said that Brown Turkey was the only self-fertile
variety. Maybe they meant the only worthwhile one, but that's not how
it came across.

http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/figs/ mentions BT and White Marseilles as
suitable for UK and I'm sure there are others.

When I bought mine, the garden centre wasn't selling BT as its preferred
variety, but one which was described as producing sweeter fruits than BT
- I forget the name - 'prince' something, possibly?

The one I actually bought was described only as 'Label Fell Off'
(therefore just a quid!): dunno if it is BT, but certainly produces a
lot of figs, though it is only about 3 feet tall so far so it hasn't
managed to take any right through to ripeness yet. I have hopes for
this year though!

Aha, here we go. Here is the list I know I'd seen somewhere from
holders of a national collection:

http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/catalo..._Plants__suppl
iers_of__plants__trees__Citrus_Fruits__Figs.htm

Most are listed as greenhouse only, but BT is certainly not the only one
recommended for outside in the UK. Mmmm, don't they sound yummy...

(Sorry dunkan, can't help on the pot culture, but at least the above
gives some options if you decide to junk yours and start again!)

Victoria
Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 PM

Reads nursery sell at least 33 different varieties of fig on their website,
and have more named varieties at their nurseries, many of which are
self-fertile.

- h

Old 13-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "H" contains these words:

Reads nursery sell at least 33 different varieties of fig on their website,
and have more named varieties at their nurseries, many of which are
self-fertile.

I shall have a lok when the right shaped tuits arrive.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

People Helping People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Ponds 0 11-06-2008 04:03 AM
C'mon people Aaron Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:06 PM
C'mon people Brinner Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:58 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Gardening 1 01-12-2004 10:52 PM
Un petit tour sur mon exploitation duval_christophe sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 11:39 PM