Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
dunkan

Default Fig Tree - C'mon, people - help!

Several days ago, I posted:

With mucho thanks to Rick McGreal, five photographs of my fig-in-a-pot are
now on line at http://tycoonheaven.mynock.com/fig/

I'd greatly appreciate you experts casting a professional eye over them,
and letting me know what I should be doing to make it a happier fig tree!

(The shrubbery is a bedding plant I added to the pot on Wednesday,
following advice here; it's not a fixture, so if it'd be sensible to move
it...?)

All help and advice very much appreciated!

- duncan

(And thanks again, Rick)

And since then I've been patiently checking the group every few minutes,
anxious to learn what should be done to help my tree... but not a single
response!

Help really WOULD be appreciated...

+ duncan

Old 11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement dunkan uttered:

Several days ago, I posted:

With mucho thanks to Rick McGreal, five photographs of my fig-in-a-pot are
now on line at http://tycoonheaven.mynock.com/fig/

I'd greatly appreciate you experts casting a professional eye over them,
and letting me know what I should be doing to make it a happier fig tree!

(The shrubbery is a bedding plant I added to the pot on Wednesday,
following advice here; it's not a fixture, so if it'd be sensible to move
it...?)

All help and advice very much appreciated!

- duncan

(And thanks again, Rick)

And since then I've been patiently checking the group every few minutes,
anxious to learn what should be done to help my tree... but not a single
response!

Help really WOULD be appreciated...

+ duncan

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....
--
\\(º-¿-º)//
Old 11-05-2003, 04:45 PM
The Devil's Advocate

What a sickly looking fig. Well here's my say for what it's worth. Have you
got drainage in the pot? The compost looks a bit feeble, perhaps some soil
in place of compost. Have you got a dud variety? Sorry that's all I casn
think of. Ours grows in a raised brick surrounded bed against a stone wall
and is covered in fruit. Perhaps you should start with another plant

dunkan wrote:
: Several days ago, I posted:
:
:: With mucho thanks to Rick McGreal, five photographs of my
:: fig-in-a-pot are now on line at http://tycoonheaven.mynock.com/fig/
::

Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Bigjon contains these words:

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 11-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Bigjon

In a fit of excitement Anthony E Anson uttered:

The message
from Bigjon contains these words:

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

Didn't know that - I'll check it out - Thanks !
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's probably on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....

Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Anthony E Anson
writes
The message
from Bigjon contains these words:

Ok, I'm no Tropical expert, but I would remove all growth bar the single
shoot with leaves. Looks like late frost damage on the shoots, but can't be
sure. I have a 9 year old fig against a south facing fence, and it grows
really vigorously, but no fruit. We are on heavy clay in the North West. We
can cut it to the ground and it comes back every time. It looks slightly
different to yours in that the leaves are fully three fingered and
palmately lobed once open. We believe the source seed was from Turkey, (a
yummy box of Turkish Dried Figs brought as a pressie) and thus it will be
unlikely to bear fruit in the NW of England.
We live in hope....

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

I think that's not quite right. I've seen a list of about 3 named
varieties for sale in the UK, and round the back of the natural History
Museum in S Kensington there used to be a rather large tree with round
bluer figs which was totally unlike BT. Pretty tasteless, though - I
quickly found out why they'd lasted so far into the season without
anyone picking them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

If it isn't Brown Turkey you won't get any fruit - Brown Turkey (and its
varieties) is the only self-fertile fig AFAIK.

I think that's not quite right. I've seen a list of about 3 named
varieties for sale in the UK, and round the back of the natural History
Museum in S Kensington there used to be a rather large tree with round
bluer figs which was totally unlike BT. Pretty tasteless, though - I
quickly found out why they'd lasted so far into the season without
anyone picking them.

ITYF even that was a variety of Brown Turkey. All the books I've read on
fig growing have said that Brown Turkey was the only self-fertile
variety. Maybe they meant the only worthwhile one, but that's not how it
came across.

Now I'm debating on whether to grow my Brown Turkey in an enclosed pit,
or in a big container above ground level.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 12 May 2003 11:59:48 +0100, Anthony E Anson
wrote:

Now I'm debating on whether to grow my Brown Turkey in an enclosed pit,
or in a big container above ground level.

Bob Flowerdew's advice, which I intend following when I do plant a
fig, is to sink an old washing machine drum in the ground and plant it
in that. it restricts the roots but allows water to pass through.

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-05-2003, 04:33 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Duncan,
you started a brand new thread and I was watching the old one and wondering
where you went!
I have posted comments against your pictures, one thread back.
Cheers
Dave R
anet.com...

Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Kay Easton

[...]

Ooh - a challenge!! ;-)

Keepers Nurseries are advertising White Marseilles as a self fertile fig
for growing in the UK
Christopher Lloyd in 'The Adventurous Gardener' mentions Brunswick and
Black Ischia, again in the context of fruiting in the UK

And there's something gravely wrong with the naming of varieties if the
small round fruited ones at S Ken are merely a 'variety' of the pear
shaped green with brown flushing Brown Turkey.

Now I'm debating on whether to grow my Brown Turkey in an enclosed pit,
or in a big container above ground level.

Enclosed pit will need less watering and more digging ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

People Helping People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Ponds 0 11-06-2008 04:03 AM
C'mon people Aaron Ponds 0 25-12-2007 10:06 PM
C'mon people Brinner Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:58 PM
People helping people this holiday season [email protected] Gardening 1 01-12-2004 10:52 PM
Un petit tour sur mon exploitation duval_christophe sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 11:39 PM