Old 13-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Smeckler

Default Sweet Woodruff

Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS book
mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
anyone's tried that one?

For those who don't know it, it's a lovely plant, btw - pretty bright
foliage, millions of little flowers in May, sweet and subtle scent and
one of those few things that'll thrive and spread quickly in a shady,
moist spot.

Old 13-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Tim

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:59:03 +0100, Smeckler
wrote:

Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS book
mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
anyone's tried that one?

For those who don't know it, it's a lovely plant, btw - pretty bright
foliage, millions of little flowers in May, sweet and subtle scent and
one of those few things that'll thrive and spread quickly in a shady,
moist spot.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...swe31.html#med Gallium or
Asperula odorata.
It's known as Waldmeister in Germany, and is used to flavour jellies and as
a syrup to add to fizzy wheat-beer as in a "Berliner Weiss". However it's
become less popular recently as it contains coumarins which is suspected of
being mutagenic or at least carcinogenic. It reduces blood clotting and can
cause headaches if taken with alcohol (despite the german tradition of the
Maibowle).
[http://www.gifte.de/galium_odoratum.htm]

So don't overdo it but a little is nice to use. Try a sprig in a cold
summer drink. It's aroma is much stronger if you use the dried flowers
rather than fresh ones.
Tim.

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article opro364deqwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:59:03 +0100, Smeckler
| wrote:
|
| Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS book
| mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
| anyone's tried that one?
|
| It's known as Waldmeister in Germany, and is used to flavour jellies and as
| a syrup to add to fizzy wheat-beer as in a "Berliner Weiss". However it's
| become less popular recently as it contains coumarins which is suspected of
| being mutagenic or at least carcinogenic.

As is tea, coffee, white bread, brown bread, and so on.

| It reduces blood clotting and can
| cause headaches if taken with alcohol (despite the german tradition of the
| Maibowle).

Really? I have never observed that, and used to serve it regularly.

| So don't overdo it but a little is nice to use. Try a sprig in a cold
| summer drink. It's aroma is much stronger if you use the dried flowers
| rather than fresh ones.

You need to at least part-dry the leaves or they are almost scentless.
It is good infused in white wine (May bowl) or apple juice, but it
can be overdone.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Tim

wrote:
| | Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS
book
| mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
| anyone's tried that one?
| | It's known as Waldmeister in Germany, and is used to flavour
jellies and as | a syrup to add to fizzy wheat-beer as in a "Berliner
Weiss". However it's | become less popular recently as it contains
coumarins which is suspected of | being mutagenic or at least
carcinogenic.

As is tea, coffee, white bread, brown bread, and so on.

yea yea. I know.

| It reduces blood clotting and can | cause headaches if taken with
alcohol (despite the german tradition of the | Maibowle).

Really? I have never observed that, and used to serve it regularly.

Ah, but did you drink it as well? :-)
Well, that's what the information I got says. Personally I've never had a
Maibowle. But I always got headaches from too much Berliner Weiss (but for
a different reason, I expect hic!).
Old 13-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article opro4ai2wfwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:

| | It reduces blood clotting and can | cause headaches if taken with
| alcohol (despite the german tradition of the | Maibowle).
|
| Really? I have never observed that, and used to serve it regularly.
|
| Ah, but did you drink it as well? :-)

Yes, of course, and in sizable quantities.

| Well, that's what the information I got says. Personally I've never had a
| Maibowle. But I always got headaches from too much Berliner Weiss (but for
| a different reason, I expect hic!).

I would expect so, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

For those who don't know it, it's a lovely plant, btw - pretty bright
foliage, millions of little flowers in May, sweet and subtle scent and
one of those few things that'll thrive and spread quickly in a shady,
moist spot.

And is devil to get rid of if you don't want it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:59:03 +0100, "Smeckler" wrote:

Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS book
mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
anyone's tried that one?

For those who don't know it, it's a lovely plant, btw - pretty bright
foliage, millions of little flowers in May, sweet and subtle scent and
one of those few things that'll thrive and spread quickly in a shady,
moist spot.

Hi,

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony of it in the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better find out the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily? Pollinators Flies,
bees, self, the book says

I have some info below

Huss

Sweet Woodruff

Prefers a loose moist leafy soil in some shade[200]. Tolerates dry soils but the leaves
quickly become scorched when growing in full sun[200]. This species does not thrive in a
hot climate[200]. Prefers a moist calcareous soil[9, 13, 14]. Dislikes very acid
soils[187]. Tolerates a pH in the range 4.3 to 8.3. This species is very tolerant of
atmospheric pollution and grows well in towns[208].
A very cold-hardy plant, tolerating temperatures down to about -25°c[187].
Sweet woodruff is occasionally cultivated in the herb garden for its medicinal and other
uses. The dried foliage has the sweet scent of newly mown hay[245].
A very ornamental plant[1] but it spreads rapidly[28] and can be invasive[200]. However,
this is rarely to the detriment of other plants since these are normally able to grow
through it[200]. It does no harm to any plants more than 60cm tall[208].

Leaves - raw or cooked[62]. The leaves are coumarin-scented (like freshly mown hay), they
are used as a flavouring in cooling drinks[2, 9, 27] and are also added to fruit salads
etc[183, 200]. The leaves are soaked in white wine to make 'Maitrank', an aromatic tonic
drink that is made in Alsace[238].
A fragrant and delicious tea is made from the green-dried leaves and flowers[2, 183, 268].
Slightly wilted leaves are used, the tea has a fresh, grassy flavour[200].
The sweet-scented flowers are eaten or used as a garnish[183].

Sweet woodruff was widely used in herbal medicine during the Middle Ages, gaining a
reputation as an external application to wounds and cuts and also taken internally in the
treatment of digestive and liver problems[4]. In current day herbalism it is valued mainly
for its tonic, diuretic and anti-inflammatory affect[254].
The leaves are antispasmodic, cardiac, diaphoretic, diuretic, sedative[9, 13, 21, 200]. An
infusion is used in the treatment of insomnia and nervous tension, varicose veins, biliary
obstruction, hepatitis and jaundice[9, 238]. The plant is harvested just before or as it
comes into flower and can be dried for later use[9]. One report says that it should be
used with caution[21] whilst another says that it is entirely safe[9]. Excessive doses can
produce dizziness and symptoms of poisoning[268].
The dried plant contains coumarins and these act to prevent the clotting of blood - though
in excessive doses it can cause internal bleeding[254]. The plant is grown commercially as
a source of coumarin, used to make an anticoagulant drug[268]. Do not use this remedy if
you are taking conventional medicine for circulatory problems or if you are pregnant[254].
A number of species in this genus contain asperuloside, a substance that produces coumarin
and gives the scent of new-mown hay as the plant dries[238]. Asperuloside can be converted
into prostaglandins (hormone-like compounds that stimulate the uterus and affect blood
vessels), making the genus of great interest to the pharmaceutical industry[238].
A homeopathic remedy made from the plant is used in the treatment of inflammation of the
uterus[238].

A red dye is obtained from the root[168].
Soft-tan and grey-green dyes are obtained from the stems and leaves[168].
A good ground-cover plant for growing on woodland edges or in the cool shade of shrubs[24,
200]. It spreads rapidly at the roots[28, 197, 208]. It is an ideal carpeting plant for
bulbs to grow through[K].
Although the fresh plant has very little aroma, as it dries it becomes very aromatic with
the scent of newly-mown grass and then retains this aroma for years[2, 200]. It is used in
the linen cupboard to protect from moths etc.[4, 14] It was also formerly used as a
strewing herb and is an ingredient of pot-pourri[238]. It was also hung up in bunches in
the home in order to keep the rooms cool and fragrant during the summertime[245].
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 16-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:29:44 +0100, Sacha wrote:

in article , Smeckler at
wrote on 13/5/03 2:59 pm:

Does anyone have any culinary uses for Sweet Woodruff? My RHS book
mentions some vague thing about making tea from it - don't know if
anyone's tried that one?

For those who don't know it, it's a lovely plant, btw - pretty bright
foliage, millions of little flowers in May, sweet and subtle scent and
one of those few things that'll thrive and spread quickly in a shady,
moist spot.

We have it in several areas of our garden and I agree - it really is lovely.
It's a 'strewing' herb. Thrown on the floor to keep things sweet. ;-)
That's the only use I've been told of, at any rate.

I suppose that's when they're dried .... or I can easily imagine maybe not.

Just the flowers? I don't think I have enough plants to strew my gumboot trodden kitchen
floor which is rapidly promoting itself to "never clean" status.

Huss

Old 16-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| We have it in several areas of our garden and I agree - it really is lovely.
| It's a 'strewing' herb. Thrown on the floor to keep things sweet. ;-)
| That's the only use I've been told of, at any rate.
|
| I suppose that's when they're dried .... or I can easily imagine maybe not.
|
| Just the flowers? I don't think I have enough plants to strew my gumboot
| trodden kitchen
| floor which is rapidly promoting itself to "never clean" status.
|
| I'd guess the whole plant is strewn but that's only a guess. It was someone
| from Totnes who told me this and people from Totnes know these things. ;-)

It's the shoots, leaves and flowers (if any). Which is also what
you use for flavouring drinks and/or putting in linen drawers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Smeckler

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony

of it in the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better

find out the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily?

Pollinators Flies,
bees, self, the book says

I haven't seen it self-seed, but it's been creeping rapidly - it covers
about 10 square feet now which is about double what it was a year ago.
It's doing an OK job of competing with the Vinca major for control of
the shady border.

Ta for the info.

Old 16-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Hussein M.
writes

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony of it in
the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better find out
the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily? Pollinators
Flies,
bees, self, the book says

Which book?

I have some info below

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 17-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 16 May 2003 17:01:24 +0100, "Smeckler" wrote:

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony

of it in the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better

find out the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily?

Pollinators Flies,
bees, self, the book says

I haven't seen it self-seed, but it's been creeping rapidly - it covers
about 10 square feet now which is about double what it was a year ago.
It's doing an OK job of competing with the Vinca major for control of
the shady border.

WOW that's going some! Against V. major!

Maybe the Vinca will end up dominating in the deeper shade areas though.

Old 17-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 16 May 2003 18:59:21 +0100, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Hussein M.
writes

I put in a plant of Galium odoratum this year hoping to start a colony of it in
the
"woodland" area. It's doing really well at the moment so I had better find out
the best
way to spread it about a bit. Do you find yours self seeds easily? Pollinators
Flies,
bees, self, the book says

Which book?

Oh sorry. It's not actually a book it's the Plants for a Future database which I have as
a file on my hard disk, and have customised a little for my own purposes.

I was thinking today that I should credit pfaf when quoting them as they are not exactly
run for profit! I should certainly append the url of their bibliography (all the ref. nos.
in [ ] brackets refer to publications they have sourced for their information).

For good measure, here it is:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/biblio_p.html

regards

Sweet Woodruff Indigo United Kingdom 7 22-07-2013 05:06 PM
sweet woodruff Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 22 22-07-2011 06:21 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweet Woodruff Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 3 09-06-2007 09:04 PM
Sweet Woodruff Phisherman Gardening 12 20-03-2005 12:15 AM
Preen and Mazus or Sweet Woodruff Meg Gardening 0 27-03-2004 04:12 AM