Old 18-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Paul G

Default Clematis, virgina creeper, honeysuckle and jasmine...

My other half has just planted some in pots in the back yard with the
intention of growing them up a stone wall. Will they stick to the wall by
themselves or do we need to put a net up?

Sorry if it's a silly question...

Thanks

Paul

Old 18-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Kelrosie

Hi Paul.

I have Clematis and Honeysuckle, they do not cling to the wall. They need
some support.

Not sure about the others though.

XRosie.

Old 18-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Anne Wheeldon

"Paul G" wrote in message
My other half has just planted some in pots in the back yard with the
intention of growing them up a stone wall. Will they stick to the wall

by
themselves or do we need to put a net up?

Sorry if it's a silly question...

Thanks

Paul

All need support except for Virginia creeper, although it will probably need
some till it gets going.
Anne

Old 18-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Zizz

"Paul G" wrote in message
Great, thanks for the replies, I will try putting a net up, or maybe a
trellis

Hi Paul.

I have Clematis and Honeysuckle, they do not cling to the wall. They

need
some support.

Not sure about the others though.

XRosie.

All need support except for Virginia creeper, although it will probably

need
some till it gets going.
Anne

Bear in mind the following about these climbers:

Clematis & Jasmine tend to use tendrils for support, although the stems can
be guided through trellis or other support.
Honeysuckle is a twiner, in that the stems need to twine around support -
suggest trellis on this plant.
Virginia creeper is a self-clinger though as someone has mentioned would
need support at the start.

HTH

Old 18-05-2003, 08:56 PM
bnd777

Virginia Creeper will cling and if you are not careful will lift roof tiles
etc .........honeysuckles need support of trellis or equivalent as do
Clematis ........Clematis Montana are rampant and need cutting back
frequently
Clematis Armandii are fairly fast but less rampant
All other Clematis are restrained in their growth
Many must be pruned to ensure flowers

Old 19-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Paul G" wrote in message
My other half has just planted some in pots in the back yard with the
intention of growing them up a stone wall. Will they stick to the wall by
themselves or do we need to put a net up?

Sorry if it's a silly question...

Thanks

Paul

Parthenocissus are self clinging but P. quinquefolia (true virginia creeper)
becomes very heavy and falls off, so some support needed for all of them,
and its a good idea to attach the new plants firmly to the support until
they get the idea and start to climb (or the wind will damage them)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk