Old 25-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Paul Simonite

Default Flanders poppies

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:

Sorry, I think it's unlikely wild poppies will flower then, given the
low light levels in Edinburgh in mid November.

Stuart has an unheated greenhouse, might it not be possible to get
poppies to flower in Edinburgh if he installs a growlight to keep the
daylight level up to 13 hours or so? It would be trial and error but
IIRC poppies flower in July-ish from a March sowing, so if he sows late
June and thence successionally through to late August there might just
be some flowering in November.

--
Cheers,
Compo

Poster welcomes constructive criticism.

Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Paul Simonite contains these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:

Sorry, I think it's unlikely wild poppies will flower then, given the
low light levels in Edinburgh in mid November.

Stuart has an unheated greenhouse, might it not be possible to get
poppies to flower in Edinburgh if he installs a growlight to keep the
daylight level up to 13 hours or so? It would be trial and error but
IIRC poppies flower in July-ish from a March sowing, so if he sows late
June and thence successionally through to late August there might just
be some flowering in November.

Mid Nov is way past first frost date in Edinburgh, so he'd also have
to heat the GH when the lights were off.

At Chelsea flower show, the most skilled nurseries force and display
unseasonal wild flowers in full bloom, but I've never seen wild poppies
among them.

Janet

Old 25-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Paul Simonite contains these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:

Sorry, I think it's unlikely wild poppies will flower then, given the
low light levels in Edinburgh in mid November.

Stuart has an unheated greenhouse, might it not be possible to get
poppies to flower in Edinburgh if he installs a growlight to keep the
daylight level up to 13 hours or so? It would be trial and error but
IIRC poppies flower in July-ish from a March sowing, so if he sows late
June and thence successionally through to late August there might just
be some flowering in November.

Hello Paul! Have you just arrived?

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 26-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Paul Simonite

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

Hello Paul! Have you just arrived?

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Hi Anne,

I'm off work for the week and thought I'd just pop in and do a bit of
virtual gardening since the real garden is currently under several
inches of snow and ice - BRRRRRR! Had hoped to prepare the ground for
my soon-to-arrive polytunnel, wot a plonker eh?!

Remember the hops you gave me? They have been doing quite well in the
greenhouse but alas, the old structure finally collapsed last season. I
hope to transplant the hop hills into the new tunnel and crop for my
brewing this year.

--
Cheers,
Compo

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman there to contradict
him, is he still wrong?

Old 26-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Paul Simonite

[...]

Weeds of War: Flanders poppies (Papaver rhoeas) Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 19-07-2013 02:19 PM
Yellow & Orange Poppies Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:47 AM
Flanders poppies Stuart Forbes United Kingdom 0 27-02-2004 05:05 AM
Flanders Poppys Mike United Kingdom 20 19-05-2003 07:32 PM
Poppies from Seed Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 17 08-03-2003 04:44 AM