Old 19-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Colin Davidson

Default Cow Parsley "Ravenswing"

I came across a stunning variant of the common wild plant cow parsley
(Anthriscus sylvestris) at the Eden project. The variety is called
'Ravenswing', and it has deep red foliage and stems, to the point of almost
being black, but is otherwise the same as cow parsley (same foliage shape,
same white flowers). It looks like a cracking good plant.

I've yet to find a supplier selling seeds for less than three quid a packet,
though, and I'm in two minds as to whether to grow it. On the one hand, it's
beautiful, on the other it's an odd variant of a very common wild plant. Is
it likely to cross pollinate with wild plants? Am I being a drama queen if I
worry about being the cause of a localised outbreak of startlingly different
cow parsley?

Does anyone out there grow this variety? Does it self seed the same colour?
Do the surrounding seedlings of cow parsley also take on the same colour?
Does this deep red variant occur often in the wild anyway?

Old 19-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message
[...]

Colin,

Yes, I do grow it. A friend gave it to me a couple of years ago. So
far it hasn't self-seeded and I haven't seen any changes in the local
cow parsley :-)

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 19-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Victoria Clare

"Colin Davidson" wrote in
:

I've yet to find a supplier selling seeds for less than three quid a
packet, though, and I'm in two minds as to whether to grow it.

Can't help you on whether it will interbreed with the natives, as mine are
only a few months old but I got my seed from Plant World Devon
http://www.plantworld-devon.co.uk/ and it cost (rummage...) £1.75,
apparently.

It germinated well, and although I was expecting to see some variation
among the plants, all have turned out a good strong dark colour.

Their aquilegia section is also well worth a look.

Victoria
Old 19-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
"Colin Davidson" wrote in
:

I've yet to find a supplier selling seeds for less than three quid

packet, though, and I'm in two minds as to whether to grow it.

Can't help you on whether it will interbreed with the natives, as

mine are
only a few months old but I got my seed from Plant World Devon
http://www.plantworld-devon.co.uk/ and it cost (rummage...) £1.75,
apparently.

It germinated well, and although I was expecting to see some

variation
among the plants, all have turned out a good strong dark colour.

Their aquilegia section is also well worth a look.

Victoria

Victoria,

I agree. Their aquilegia section is superb and I have quite a few
pots "on the go"! Germinating well. Love dealing with them.
They are not dear and are efficient and friendly. I've had three
separate orders so far this year - their catalogue is just too
tempting. It is great to receive a free packet of seeds with each
order too - NOT the reason for my ordering three times I hasten to add
:-)

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 19-05-2003, 05:08 PM
hayley

is this a perennial?
Hayley

Old 19-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Charlie Pridham

[...]

It does self seed in my garden but not a lot, seed sown in pots is very
difficult to germinate, try and get hold of a plant, it often behaves as a
bi-annual although realy a perennial so you need it to seed down to be sure
of keeping it.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Helen

I just wanted to thank you for bringing this plant to my attention. I
love cow parsley (what would our lanes be like without it?) but to
have them in such an unusual colour is something I will have to try.
I'm off now to search for suppliers. Many thanks.
Old 19-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Colin Davidson
writes
[...]

If you were worried, you could makes sure you dead-headed it to stop it
setting seed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Colin Davidson

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

If you were worried, you could makes sure you dead-headed it to stop it
setting seed.

But the flowers also produce pollen that could fertilise other local cow
parsley plants (nice idea, though).

Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Colin Davidson

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message
I came across a stunning variant of the common wild plant cow parsley
(Anthriscus sylvestris) at the Eden project. The variety is called
'Ravenswing', and it has deep red foliage and stems...

Cheers for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. I'll go to the suggested
website and see if I can order myself some seeds (and I'll risk what some
people have described as patchy germination),

Ta again,

Colin.

Old 20-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message

Cheers for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. I'll go to the

suggested
website and see if I can order myself some seeds (and I'll risk what

some
people have described as patchy germination),

Ta again,

Colin.

Colin,

I actually don't like the plant very much :-( It was given to me a
couple of years ago and must be very hardy as we unusually had two
very cold snaps this year, down to minus 12. If you want my plant
I'd be willing to exchange for something else.

Let me know if you are interested. Please mail direct.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 20-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Colin Davidson
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

If you were worried, you could makes sure you dead-headed it to stop it
setting seed.

But the flowers also produce pollen that could fertilise other local cow
parsley plants (nice idea, though).

Of course. Sometimes I'm not really awake!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

Colin,

I actually don't like the plant very much :-( It was given to me a
couple of years ago and must be very hardy as we unusually had two
very cold snaps this year, down to minus 12. If you want my plant
I'd be willing to exchange for something else.

Let me know if you are interested. Please mail direct.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really quite looking forward to growing it
from seed. We often eat cow parsley when young (if you've a good eye and a
knowledge of it's poisonous wild relatives, it's fairly tasty when young).
So I plan to grow excess from seed to see if it tastes good (it'll look
striking in a salad), and plant some plants in the garden because it looks
pretty.

"cow manure & compost" really a mulch? OhioGuy Gardening 8 27-03-2009 02:54 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 10:20 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 04:32 PM
robins and cow pie buffets madgard Gardening 2 10-02-2003 04:25 AM