Old 20-05-2003, 05:45 PM
alan

Default Ancient Weather Reports

Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

Old 20-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Adrian Jones

I very much doubt records were kept that far back. The UK met office
archives hold records back to 1842. Their website is:
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/corpora...ary/index.html

Possibly you could find out by genealogical research which might turn up
private documents or personal diaries that mention the weather. Or perhaps
documents or paintings in museums, palaces, castles, etc.

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
alan wrote:
Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

I doubt it, but some people have analysed tree ring data to attempt
to get such information. Out of curiosity, why did you ask on a
gardening newsgroup? I can understand "In the 13th century", but
not "in 1217" ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2003, 08:20 PM

"alan" wrote in message
Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

Detailed weather records only started in the 17th century. Earlier than
that, we generally only know of events, such as storms, significant enough
to interest the chroniclers of the time. However, if you search for
dendrochronology sites, you may be able to find out whether the year was
notably wet or dry.

Colin Bignell

Old 20-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Martin Richards

"alan" wrote in message
Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

Can do you 1218 - that any good? (Man killed by lightning at Stepney on 2nd
February; Severe thunderstorm with heavy rain on the 29th November.) It was
hot and dry in 1222, but much flooding the following year. This courtesy of
http://www.booty.demon.co.uk/climate/1200_1299.htm - I found it with a
little bit of digging on http://www.pepysdiary.com/, after some remembered
discussion of the flooding Sam describes.

I have to ask - why 1217 precisely?!

Martin

Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 PM
eddy

On Tue, 20 May 2003 20:16:39 +0100, "Martin Richards"
wrote:

"alan" wrote in message
.. .
Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

Can do you 1218 - that any good? (Man killed by lightning at Stepney on 2nd
February; Severe thunderstorm with heavy rain on the 29th November.) It was
hot and dry in 1222, but much flooding the following year. This courtesy of
http://www.booty.demon.co.uk/climate/1200_1299.htm - I found it with a
little bit of digging on http://www.pepysdiary.com/, after some remembered
discussion of the flooding Sam describes.

I have to ask - why 1217 precisely?!

Martin

research project.
maybe core samples from underwater/underbog sites may give some
insight.
thats what i was thinking.

Old 20-05-2003, 09:20 PM
martin

On Tue, 20 May 2003 21:06:04 +0100, eddy wrote:

On Tue, 20 May 2003 20:16:39 +0100, "Martin Richards"
wrote:

"alan" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

Can do you 1218 - that any good? (Man killed by lightning at Stepney on 2nd
February; Severe thunderstorm with heavy rain on the 29th November.) It was
hot and dry in 1222, but much flooding the following year. This courtesy of
http://www.booty.demon.co.uk/climate/1200_1299.htm - I found it with a
little bit of digging on http://www.pepysdiary.com/, after some remembered
discussion of the flooding Sam describes.

I have to ask - why 1217 precisely?!

Try the Department of Climatology at the University of East Anglia.

www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/lwt.htm
--
martin
Old 20-05-2003, 10:44 PM
swroot

alan wrote:

Has anyone seen a website that will tell me what the weather was like
in the summer of 1217 in the south of england?

I doubt there is one, but if you ask on uk.sci.weather someone may be
able to suggest a source of some information.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley