Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Sacha

Default Progress reports?

Daffs are out and coming out in hedgerows here; primroses at the bottom of
the slope of Cabbage Hill, which is shady and slow to give up its treasures,
are *juuusst* beginning to bloom; some bright pink violets that we have
never seen before are showing their heads beneath the Atlantic Cedar but the
daffs, which are diseased are NOT doing too well. Better than last year
though but only just. Just wish we could remember the name of the blasted
disease.
Mimosa is like a great golden lantern as we head up the lane towards home;
Alliums are romping out of the soil, tulips are more than beginning to do
the same; the smallest polytunnel smells like heaven with all those primulas
in there; the Rooks are thinking about lurve and so are the Call Ducks ( 3
pairs free to a good, fox proof home!)
I don't know what the weather centre thinks but much of our little bit of
Devonshire seems to think spring has arrived.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-02-2004, 10:39 PM
shazzbat

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

There are two lots of flowering cherry trees near us, the first lot is in
full bloom we saw today

Old 12-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:59:13 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Daffs are out and coming out in hedgerows here; primroses at the bottom of
the slope of Cabbage Hill...

Oh, just stop it. :-) It's 2C here with 'light snow' predicted
overnight. Then warmer; then colder; then a hail of toads, I expect.
The only color in my immediate vicinity is some brilliant red Nandina
berries next door. Whether these are the result of hot summers or cold
autumns, I don't know. We certainly have both. I *do* envy your
early spring. And reading about it, too.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:36 AM
David Hill

Found the First queen wasp out side today.sunning it's self.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM
andrewpreece

I've seen a two examples of Rosemary bushes in full bloom, a couple of weeks
ago, here in Devon. Saw the first daffodil on January 1st.

Andy

Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM
andrewpreece

Old 12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
andrewpreece

Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Martin Sykes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Dwarf Siberian Iris providing a nice splash of colour for the last week or
so, also crocus, primroses, snowdrops, cyclamen, japanese quince. Daffs
looking ready to open, tulips a bit behind but coming on strong. Also,
flowers forming on the laurel which I've never had before :-)

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Simon Matterface

I've only recently moved to Devon and have found the climate quite
remarkable. Not sure if this winter has been a one off, but locals seem to
think it's quite normal.

The Rosemary's have been bloomin' for weeks down here in Torquay, most
shrubs and climbers are showing plenty of new growth (buddleias, acers,
photinia, honeysuckle, climbing roses, boston ivy and virginia creeper) . My
new lawn, seeded a couple of months ago, due to the clement weather and my
impatience, has taken well and has been cut once already.

My conservatory is full of seed trays and pots with stuff ready to go out
into the garden before I've even decided where it's all going.

Couldn't be happier...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Sacha

Simon Matterface12/2/04 9:32

I've only recently moved to Devon and have found the climate quite
remarkable. Not sure if this winter has been a one off, but locals seem to
think it's quite normal.

The Rosemary's have been bloomin' for weeks down here in Torquay, most
shrubs and climbers are showing plenty of new growth (buddleias, acers,
photinia, honeysuckle, climbing roses, boston ivy and virginia creeper) . My
new lawn, seeded a couple of months ago, due to the clement weather and my
impatience, has taken well and has been cut once already.

My conservatory is full of seed trays and pots with stuff ready to go out
into the garden before I've even decided where it's all going.

Couldn't be happier...

snip

Torquay being on the sea has a milder climate than we have, even though
we're only a few miles away as the crow flies (between Totnes and Ashburton)
and things there are often much earlier than they are with us, so in that
sense the locals are right. But in general, things are earlier than usual
in others parts of the county. I think the long warm autumn must have
something to do with it, too because our mimosa tree is flowering its socks
off - I've never seen one do so well. And to add to its glory, it's a
sucker from one that was blown down about 10 years ago.
It's grown and spread enormously and is an absolutely picture just now, if
only people would look UP!!! Some very nice visitors to the nursery walked
all round the garden yesterday, visited the Baskerville grave in the
churchyard and started to walk back up the path. I asked them if they'd
enjoyed the mimosa tree and they hadn't even noticed it! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk