Old 22-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Trevor Appleton

Default Bishop of Llandaff gone pale

I have kept some tubers of dahlias through the winter. Since I have only
ever grown the Bishop (how many others have done likewise?) I expected dark
foliage when it came up, but the leaves are light green. Do they turn darker
later?

---

Old 22-05-2003, 09:44 PM
David Hill

Normally Bishop will be dark from the start
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message
Normally Bishop will be dark from the start
--

Strange. We have a number of Dahlias and have had for years but this year is
the first time we have the Bishop ( thought I had better join the club) and

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 23-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message
"David wrote in message
Normally Bishop will be dark from the start
--

Strange. We have a number of Dahlias and have had for years but this

year
is
the first time we have the Bishop ( thought I had better join the club)

and
much to my surprise the leaves aren't especially dark. Indeed no darker

than
some others we have that are green leaved.
Perhaps it's because it's still in the greenhouse and it will darken

when
planted outside.

Our experience of The Bishop is that it comes up bronze and stays bronze.
--

Oh! So maybe we haven't got the Bishop after all. Wonderfull!

Old 23-05-2003, 09:59 PM
David Hill

".........much to my surprise the leaves aren't especially dark. Indeed no
darker than some others we have that are green leaved.
Perhaps it's because it's still in the greenhouse and it will darken when
planted outside............"

You could try giving it/them a light feed of Miracle grow, might help to
bring some depth of colour to the plant/s.
Being inside should make no difference, unless possibly you have it at a
high temp, but over the last few weeks that's not very likely, with some a
lower temp. brings out better leaf colour.

Can I ask where you got the plants/tubers from?
If Dutch tubers then there is a chance of a few wrong ones getting into the
batch, They produce them by the 10's of thousands, and keep them trimmed so
that they don't flower, as this would weaken the tubers. With production on
this scale there are always some that are better than others.
When it was first bread by Tresseder in Cardiff, it was propagated only by
cuttings, so the best stock was always selected as stock, now with a lot
being produced by Tissue culture the selection isn't so critical.

Old 23-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, I realise I should have come to you for it :-) but it was a spur of
the moment purchase as I walked through a local GC. In a plastic packet and
no doubt Dutch grown.
It has been at high temperature in the last few weeks though, germinating
lots of seeds at the moment, allotment and all that.

I'll just have to plant it out now it's hardened off and see what happens.

Old 24-05-2003, 01:12 AM
David Hill

I'll just have to plant it out now it's hardened off and see what happens.

Don't forget the slug pellets when you plant.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Bishop's Weed Jane Gardening 2 20-05-2004 03:03 PM
Bishop's Children and....! Mike Crossland United Kingdom 6 27-02-2004 11:19 PM
Bishop's Children and....! Mike Crossland United Kingdom 0 26-02-2004 08:21 PM
Bishop's Children and....! Mike Crossland United Kingdom 2 26-02-2004 08:19 PM
Bishop's Children and....! Mike Crossland United Kingdom 0 26-02-2004 08:18 PM