Old 23-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Daffodils

My daffs have *finally* died back....
Well...The flowers have wilted but the stalks are still there.....

Is this freakily long for them to be still going BTW???

What should I do with them now?
Just mow them down and leave the bulbs
or should I dig the bulbs out and replant them in the same place next year?

Old 23-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Rick McGreal wrote:

My daffs have *finally* died back....
Well...The flowers have wilted but the stalks are still there.....

They haven't died back then. Only when the leaves die can you consider
them dormant.

What should I do with them now?
Just mow them down and leave the bulbs
or should I dig the bulbs out and replant them in the same place next year?

If you dig them up, replant them immediately somewhere you don't mind
and leave them until the leaves die down. You must leave the leaves be
or you will have no flowers next year.

There are many old threads on this, have a look at groups.google.com.

Kostas
Old 23-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Rick McGreal

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote in
q.np.hx:

They haven't died back then. Only when the leaves die can you consider
them dormant.

Right....Thanks

If you dig them up, replant them immediately somewhere you don't mind
and leave them until the leaves die down. You must leave the leaves be
or you will have no flowers next year.

Oh....They are fine where they are.....
I will just ignore them for the meantime..

There are many old threads on this, have a look at groups.google.com.

All I could find were a few about planting them....Not about them
finishing...
Old 23-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
My daffs have *finally* died back....
Well...The flowers have wilted but the stalks are still there.....

Is this freakily long for them to be still going BTW???

No - some varieties are quite late. I still have a few in flower.

What should I do with them now?
Just mow them down and leave the bulbs
or should I dig the bulbs out and replant them in the same place next year?

leave them so the leaves can build up good bulbs for next year - it's
the growth they do now that determines what sort of flowers you'll get
next year.

Once the leaves have wilted, you can trim them.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 23-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Rick McGreal

Kay Easton wrote in
:

Is this freakily long for them to be still going BTW???

No - some varieties are quite late. I still have a few in flower.

I don't actually know which ones i have...
They were all white when they first appeared....But they seemed to get a
touch of yellow as they got older....

leave them so the leaves can build up good bulbs for next year - it's
the growth they do now that determines what sort of flowers you'll get
next year.

Oh great!

Once the leaves have wilted, you can trim them.

Thanks

Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Daffodils drooping Mceezee Gardening 2 02-04-2003 01:32 AM
Daffodils Mceezee Gardening 4 19-03-2003 09:08 AM
Wimpy Daffodils :-( Bippy North Carolina 0 15-03-2003 08:44 PM
Daffodils Beachcomber United Kingdom 8 01-01-2003 04:30 AM