Old 29-05-2003, 11:56 AM
John

Default Daisy infested grass

Hi,
I have just moved from a centre of town tenemant building to a semi with a
100 foot back garden. I have never done any gardening before but think i'm
going to enjoy it. My first problem though is that my lawn is totally
covered with daisies. Is ther a way to get rid of these without damaging the
grass. I jsut cut it on Sunday and they have sprouted up again already.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and you can bet your bottom dollar
this won't be last question i will be asking. :-)

Regards,

John

Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
John wrote:
Hi,
I have just moved from a centre of town tenemant building to a semi with a
100 foot back garden. I have never done any gardening before but think i'm
going to enjoy it. My first problem though is that my lawn is totally
covered with daisies. Is ther a way to get rid of these without damaging the
grass. I jsut cut it on Sunday and they have sprouted up again already.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and you can bet your bottom dollar
this won't be last question i will be asking. :-)

Why not just enjoy them? As a lawn plant, they have a lot going for
them - grass is very boring by comparison :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Pickle

If you really don't want them, a general purpose lawn weedkiller such as
Verdone (available from any Homebase/B&Q etc) will see them off.
I used that on my lawn to get rid of the clover, selfheal, chickweed etc, I
was sad that the daisies had to go as well, I would have liked to keep them.

Old 29-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Helen

I have heard tales of people from foreign lands marvelling at the
'pretty little flowers' in British lawns. It does seem a shame to get
rid of them. Plain green swards with regular stripes always look so
sterile.

Old 29-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Alan Gould

In article , John
writes
Hi,
I have just moved from a centre of town tenemant building to a semi with a
100 foot back garden. I have never done any gardening before but think i'm
going to enjoy it. My first problem though is that my lawn is totally
covered with daisies. Is ther a way to get rid of these without damaging the
grass. I jsut cut it on Sunday and they have sprouted up again already.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and you can bet your bottom dollar
this won't be last question i will be asking. :-)

Daisies are one of several natural companion plants to grass. They help
to keep lawns healthy and they add a delicate beauty to them quite free
of charge. Another of nature's wondrous gifts!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 29-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sacha

in article , John at
wrote on 29/5/03 11:47 am:

Hi,
I have just moved from a centre of town tenemant building to a semi with a
100 foot back garden. I have never done any gardening before but think i'm
going to enjoy it. My first problem though is that my lawn is totally
covered with daisies. Is ther a way to get rid of these without damaging the
grass. I jsut cut it on Sunday and they have sprouted up again already.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and you can bet your bottom dollar
this won't be last question i will be asking. :-)

Congratulations! First step on a new and happy and possibly even addictive,
path! ;-)
Ridding your lawn of all daisies would be a shame, IMO. They're such pretty
little flowers, so you might want to keep some of them and just 'spot kill'
others with a weed killer.
Just don't let children run around on them in bare feet. Bees like daisies,
too!
I think the idea of getting rid of daisies stems from the 'tidy and
everything planted in rows' days of gardening - we were supposed to trample
nature underfoot quite literally. Some people say daisies' low, flat leaves
kill the grass so if that IS a real problem for you, see the spot killer
idea. But no daisies is a bit sad, I think - bit municipal park-ish. We
have two lawns that won't grow them at all and two that do. The two that
don't are both used by customers a lot and one gets wringing wet in winter
so I wonder if that's what means 'no daisies' on those areas.

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
I have heard tales of people from foreign lands marvelling at the
'pretty little flowers' in British lawns. It does seem a shame to get
rid of them. Plain green swards with regular stripes always look so
sterile.

They wouldn't grow in my 'lawns'. The surrounding gardens were deliciously
white with them :-(

Mary

Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Just don't let children run around on them in bare feet. Bees like

daisies,
too!

Eh? I've never seen bees on daisies and never seen them listed as bee
flowers ...

Otherwise I agree absolutely with your post :-)

Mary

Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Just don't let children run around on them in bare feet. Bees like

daisies,
too!

Eh? I've never seen bees on daisies and never seen them listed as bee
flowers ...

Otherwise I agree absolutely with your post :-)

But why should children be forbidden from going around in bare feet?
Very few are allergic to bees.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message t...

Just don't let children run around on them in bare feet. Bees like

daisies,
too!

Eh? I've never seen bees on daisies and never seen them listed as bee
flowers ...

I don't see bees much on daisies either - but anyway let's hear it for the daisies! You can go to a GC and spend lottsa money for a
worse display than you'll get on a good daisy lawn for free.

Rod

Old 30-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Mary Fisher

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Just don't let children run around on them in bare feet. Bees like

daisies,
too!

Eh? I've never seen bees on daisies and never seen them listed as bee
flowers ...

Otherwise I agree absolutely with your post :-)

But why should children be forbidden from going around in bare feet?
Very few are allergic to bees.

Sorry, I meant the stuff about daisies not being a problem!

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-05-2003, 12:32 AM
John

Ok,
You all win. I'll keep the daisies. It wasn't actually my idea anyway to get
rid of them but my sister's who keeps saying "You have a lovely big garden,
but you will have to do something about all these daisies" so now i know
that what she really means is she jealous and i was prepared to listen to
her because i know nothing about gardens. Thank God i found this Newsgroup.

Thanks,

John

Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
ned

John wrote:
Ok,
You all win. I'll keep the daisies. It wasn't actually my idea

anyway
to get rid of them but my sister's who keeps saying "You have a
lovely big garden, but you will have to do something about all these
daisies" so now i know that what she really means is she jealous and
i was prepared to listen to her because i know nothing about

gardens.
Thank God i found this Newsgroup.

Thanks,

John

Hey, don't give in so easily!
It's your lawn. If you want it daisy free, then you have it daisy
free.
One problem with daisys is that they can crowd out the grass - as you
have found, so that you end up with a total daisy 'sward'. Then when
you attempt to reduce the daisy density you end up with bare patches
all over the place.
The odd one or two may be pretty, pretty. But en masse they are as
much a menace as any other weed.
Don't you listen to all those 'fashionable' gardeners ;-) They are
only trying to justify not weeding, lazy lot!!!

--
ned - who spent this afternoon thinning out the daisys and buttercups
on his own lawn. ;-)