Old 29-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Poncirus compost mix?

In article 1fvqoyf.15tnz5gxkldyzN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net,
Jim W wrote:

I have a couple of 'hardy citrus', a Poncirus trifoliata and,...... the
other one..!

Can anyone recommend a suitable compost mixture for them.. One site I
looked at used 1 pt soil, 1 part mushroom compost and one part perlite.
I got the impression citrus types liked a bit acidic?

They do. That mixture would be fine for some soils, but not others.
What sort of soil do you have?

Generally, they are happy with any non-alkaline (i.e. neutral to
acid), free-draining but not cactus-worthy compost.

Mine have survived but are not looking very happy;-( They are in
smallish pots (they are less than a foot high each, in a southerly
position (full sun))

Depending on how well the compost in the pots drains, they may not
have liked all the rain.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Jim W

Jim W wrote:

I have a couple of 'hardy citrus', a Poncirus trifoliata and,...... the
other one..!

Can anyone recommend a suitable compost mixture for them.. One site I
looked at used 1 pt soil, 1 part mushroom compost and one part perlite.
I got the impression citrus types liked a bit acidic?

They do. That mixture would be fine for some soils, but not others.
What sort of soil do you have?

Generally, they are happy with any non-alkaline (i.e. neutral to
acid), free-draining but not cactus-worthy compost.

Mine have survived but are not looking very happy;-( They are in
smallish pots (they are less than a foot high each, in a southerly
position (full sun))

Depending on how well the compost in the pots drains, they may not
have liked all the rain.

Local soil here is London Clay.. Not to bad when its well worked but
sticky when wet. The pots are pretty dry,.. I think part of the probem
may be too dry.

If I was to make up a mix of bagged composts etc? What would you
recommend? Part multipurpose, part ericaceous, part grit or something??

//
Jim