Old 06-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Kay Easton

Default Trendy gardens

In article , K
writes
:
Yes, I heard them mention the 'P' word several times, and I watched only the
first couple of broadcasts. Sad, isn't it, but sadder still I suppose is
that so many are taken in by it and have to follow the trends. I know I am
anything but trendy as I like - dare I say it - p.i.n.k.s. (the flower, that
is). There, I've come out :O)

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a garden, really. I want
somewhere which is beautiful to my eye, somewhere where the plants
flourish without cosseting, somewhere cool in summer, full of wildlife,
and lots of interest so I can walk around it every day and see something
new each time.

Others want an extension of their living space, an 'outside room' which
looks good with the minimum of effort.

Others wants somewhere which attracts admiration (and I must admit I
gain pleasure from all the folks who lean over and look into our pond as
they go past)

Others want somewhere which adds value to their property, or at least
doesn't detract from it.

I don't think we need to feel sorry for those who are following the
latest fashion - I think they know what they are doing - they want their
garden to look as 'stylish' as the interior decoration of their house.
Different values. I suppose one should feel sorry for them if their lack
of knowledge means they try to follow the latest fashion in an
inappropriate scenario, rather like one might feel sorry for a woman
wearing a style designed for a much smaller bum ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a garden, really.

I want
somewhere which is beautiful to my eye, somewhere where the plants
flourish without cosseting, somewhere cool in summer, full of wildlife,
and lots of interest so I can walk around it every day and see something
new each time.

Others want an extension of their living space, an 'outside room' which
looks good with the minimum of effort.

Others wants somewhere which attracts admiration (and I must admit I
gain pleasure from all the folks who lean over and look into our pond as
they go past)

Others want somewhere which adds value to their property,

I want, and have, all of those!

I don't think we need to feel sorry for those who are following the
latest fashion - I think they know what they are doing - they want their
garden to look as 'stylish' as the interior decoration of their house.
Different values. I suppose one should feel sorry for them if their lack
of knowledge means they try to follow the latest fashion in an
inappropriate scenario, rather like one might feel sorry for a woman
wearing a style designed for a much smaller bum ;-)

The way people think about gardens is changing.

Hands up all of those who change the colour of the lounge/bedroom/dining
room walls every 5 years

That is the way some are thinking about gardens. I have a main bed facing
the Garden Room window, it used to have mass structural shrubs with a
fronting of flowering shrubs and grasses. It now has mass planting of autumn
flowering perennials. In a few years time it will have something else.

The box edged bed o/s the garden room used to be filled with 2m tall Ricinus
is this year going to have a mass of Fuchsia thalia at ground level with
mixed Canna (Lucifer, Durban and ANO) and Gingers growing through with a few
spikes of crocosmia lucifer.

I don't know whether that classes as trendy?

It is worth remembering that Capability Brown and Gertrude Jekyl were the
trendy designers of their day.

BTW Many of the plants and combinations so common in our gardens today were
first popularised by Jekyl. Why did she use those particular plants: Because
she grew them on her own nursery and was a shrewd business woman!

pk

Old 06-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Mary Fisher

I don't think we need to feel sorry for those who are following the
latest fashion - I think they know what they are doing - they want their
garden to look as 'stylish' as the interior decoration of their house.

Mine does :-)

Mary

Old 07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

I don't think we need to feel sorry for those who are following the
latest fashion - I think they know what they are doing - they want their
garden to look as 'stylish' as the interior decoration of their house.

Mine does :-)

Mine, too - but that's not quite what I meant ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Different values. I suppose one should feel sorry for them if their
lack of knowledge means they try to follow the latest fashion in an
inappropriate scenario, rather like one might feel sorry for a woman
wearing a style designed for a much smaller bum ;-)

Big bums are "in" ATM!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 07-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

I don't think we need to feel sorry for those who are following the
latest fashion - I think they know what they are doing - they want

their
garden to look as 'stylish' as the interior decoration of their house.

Mine does :-)

Mine, too - but that's not quite what I meant ;-)

But you knew what *I* meant!

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Different values. I suppose one should feel sorry for them if their
lack of knowledge means they try to follow the latest fashion in an
inappropriate scenario, rather like one might feel sorry for a woman
wearing a style designed for a much smaller bum ;-)

Big bums are "in" ATM!

Best news I've heard today :-)))

Mary

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 09-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Chris Norton

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:50:25 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I suspect it's more calculated than that, decided in advance by market
planners then presented to the public as the latest must-have, to
increase sales.

By the end of the Chelsea flower show, we were left in no doubt by the
media that purple plants are the latest trendy thing. That weekend, B
and Q announced they will stock a whole new range of purple plants for
this season. Their summer range must surely have been decided by buyers
and ordered from and propagated by growers, at least 6 months ago.

Janet.

I am led to believe that purple is THE colour this year for just about
ruddy everything by SWMBO.

Luckily I`ve only got puple sprouting brocoli to show for it. 8-)

Did get some seeds for blue himalayan poppies off the cover of Amatuer
Gardening that I`ll give a go. I think that must have been a ploy as
in the junk that came with it was a set of 3 of them for 22 quid. I`ll
have a go with the seeds thank you very much.