Old 31-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Helen

Default Trendy gardens

Have I made our school grounds trendy by putting in a Living Willow Tunnel
and using the remainding willow to make a couple of living willow rabbits?

Natalie

Natalie - YES!
Old 31-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Natalie

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
Have I made our school grounds trendy by putting in a Living Willow

Tunnel
and using the remainding willow to make a couple of living willow rabbits?

Natalie

Natalie - YES!

Is this bad???

Natalie

Old 31-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Zizz

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
What's your idea of a trendy garden?

It certainly won't be mine!

While I'm here, I'm sure I posted a question about medlar the other day

but
it hasn't appeared on my screen. If anyone's reading this, did you see the
medlar post?

Mary

Where the plants conform to the design of a garden rather than the garden
working with the way a plant lives and grows!
If that makes any sense!

Old 31-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Sue

"Mary Fisher" wrote
What's your idea of a trendy garden?

Gravel, gravel, slate chippings and gravel, interspersed with various
clumps of brownish grasses that deceptively look as though they died a
couple of weeks ago.

One regimented row of identical square galvanised containers planted with
Agaves (to be replaced with ornamental cabbages over winter).

A very expensive deck made out of industrial metal mesh. This elevates with
a clever hydraulic system to double up as a carport.

A group of Tree Ferns have to be included at all costs somewhere. I think
it must be a recent EU edict.

Neon lights in several garish colours automatically kick in at nightfall.
Who needs stars anyway?

--
Sue

Old 31-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Mary Fisher say...
What's your idea of a trendy garden?

It certainly won't be mine!

I dunno. I gave up on trying to think trendy. I'm currently in the
middle of a design for a show garden and was truly uninsired by Chelsea.
In the end, I have decided to base the layout on a piece of my own
garden and design it how I really want it to be. Trendy it certainly
aint.
--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#120: You can now do a combined honours degree course in Applied
Industrial Engineering and Dramatic Arts. (it's at one of those
universities that used to be a poly)

Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Helen

Is this bad???

Natalie

Natalie - NO!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Natalie

"Helen" wrote in message
om...
Is this bad???

Natalie

Natalie - NO!

Thanks Helen...what a relief! :-)))

Natalie

Old 04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Druss

"K" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
:
: What's your idea of a trendy garden?
:
: Hmmm...in a totally paved walled garden, some tall purple alliums
: mulched with broken glass, are growing beside a vertical pane of glass.
: Water is running up the vertical pane of glass, and turning into fog.
: Dimly glimpsed through the fog, Rachel de Thame is painting her nails
: lime green to match the walls. A duck is nesting in her hair. A bell
: tolls slowly.
:
: Janet.
:
To the alliums I would add verbena bonansiarus (sp?), dahlia Bishop of
Llandaff and crocosmia Lucifer.

Ah now no fair, I love the Bishop ! and the Crosomia, they are great grown
next to one another, it's then only the gardeners who s******. As for the
verbena, too right, it's everywhere, every TV gardening show has used it for
the last 6 months, except I am pleased to say Gardeners World, or at least
the gerdener part of it, i.e. Monty !
Duncan

Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 PM

"Druss" wrote in message
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: ...
: : The message
: : from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
: :
[...]
I love them all, but they certainly seem to be over hyped. I wonder if
plants become trendy because of the hype.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "K" contains these words:

I love them all, but they certainly seem to be over hyped. I wonder if
plants become trendy because of the hype.

I suspect it's more calculated than that, decided in advance by market
planners then presented to the public as the latest must-have, to
increase sales.

By the end of the Chelsea flower show, we were left in no doubt by the
media that purple plants are the latest trendy thing. That weekend, B
and Q announced they will stock a whole new range of purple plants for
this season. Their summer range must surely have been decided by buyers
and ordered from and propagated by growers, at least 6 months ago.

Janet.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

"....did catch a brief glimpse of Titchmarsh coing over some red/pink
thistles....."

Circium..?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-06-2003, 11:32 AM

[...]
Yes, I heard them mention the 'P' word several times, and I watched only the
first couple of broadcasts. Sad, isn't it, but sadder still I suppose is
that so many are taken in by it and have to follow the trends. I know I am
anything but trendy as I like - dare I say it - p.i.n.k.s. (the flower, that
is). There, I've come out :O)