Old 15-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default How do you search for posts which have expired?

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Gareth Jones
writes
In article 1fwb6wy.cqz6c81ya5lxgN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Of course, typing
www.deja.com
Is still the quickest ... and most nostalgic way to access usenet :-)

Yes, it takes you to the above address.

But with less typing. And therefore quicker.... and easier to remember
.... and nicer .......And.......

Not heard of bookmarks then...........?

Actually you are referring to URLs.

No I wasn't.

I was referring to someone's saved Bookmark/Hotlist/Favourite or
whatever (depending on their browser).

This maybe an easier way of entering a URL into a browser - it isn't a
URL in itself (it may contain it, as well as all sorts of other
infomation). - I was referring to the point about it being less to type
in Deja.com.

For newsgroup posts you need to go to
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Which is where we seem to have came in......
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 16-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Gareth Jones
writes
In article 1fwb6wy.cqz6c81ya5lxgN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Of course, typing
www.deja.com
Is still the quickest ... and most nostalgic way to access usenet :-)

Yes, it takes you to the above address.

But with less typing. And therefore quicker.... and easier to remember
.... and nicer .......And.......

Not heard of bookmarks then...........?

Actually you are referring to URLs.

No, bookmarks. Haven't you heard of them either?

For newsgroup posts you need to go to
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Like he said, above. Here's rosemary, Ophelia; it's for remembrance.

:-)

Janet.

Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Ophelia

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message

No I wasn't.

As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

Ophelia

Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Ophelia

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message news

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Like he said, above. Here's rosemary, Ophelia; it's for remembrance.

LOL thank you Janet

The web of our life is a mingled yarn, good and ill together; our virtues
would be proud, if our faults whipped them not.

My memory fades I fear

Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message

No I wasn't.

As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely if you can read a post somewhere then it hasn't expired
anyway.....?

Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Gareth Jones

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely if you can read a post somewhere then it hasn't expired anyway.....?

I don't think the two of you really understand the concept of usenet do
you?

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from

Old 16-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Jim W

Gareth Jones wrote:

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely if you can read a post somewhere then it hasn't expired anyway.....?

I don't think the two of you really understand the concept of usenet do
you?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Someone wake me up when this os over;-)
//
Old 16-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Gareth Jones
writes
In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes
As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely if you can read a post somewhere then it hasn't expired anyway.....?

I don't think the two of you really understand the concept of usenet do
you?

I'm perfectly happy with the concept (and the reality) of Usenet -- I'll
happily admit to not understanding what Ophelia is on about :-)
Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim W

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message

No I wasn't.

As far as I am aware you don't find expired post on the net. I am happy to
be corrected if it is possible.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Surely if you can read a post somewhere then it hasn't expired
anyway.....?

Actually rereading this I can see where the confusion lies..

USENET posts 'expire' either due to header settings or after your local
newserver deletes them (eg they expire from your server).

However many of them are 'archived' at google groups, and for most
people these could be called 'expired' posts.

The difference is between the 2 interfaces. google is a Web 'front end'
for USENET and google's own archives of parts of USENET. Local
newservers together make up USENET 'proper'.
//
Jim
Old 18-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Gareth Jones

In article 1fwpakk.oow9ay192mc80N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
Actually rereading this I can see where the confusion lies..

USENET posts 'expire' either due to header settings or after your local
newserver deletes them (eg they expire from your server).

However many of them are 'archived' at google groups, and for most
people these could be called 'expired' posts.

The difference is between the 2 interfaces. google is a Web 'front end'
for USENET and google's own archives of parts of USENET. Local
newservers together make up USENET 'proper'.

Actually, reading this ... I can see why people get confused

:-)