Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
edward holt

Default Squrrels Eat My Nuts

I've got a bird feeder that dishes out peanuts to the local birds - tit's,
finches, sparrows etc.
It's made of metal and is supposed to keep off the squirrels (grey squirrels
in my case).

It doesn't work - the squirrels still feed on it.
So I'm looking for a way of stopping the squirrels feeding on it.

I've got the metal bird feeder suspended from a piece of copper wire (I
thought the squirrels would not be able to climb down the copper wire).
This also did not help.

Is there any way I can attach a battery to the copper wire to give the
squirrels a polite shock to persuade them not to feed there?

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Emrys Davies

Not anymore, maybe!!

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/sp...l_roundup.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
gastropod

Best thing I have found (I am an ornithologist and used to be a professional
feeder designer) was to add cayenne pepper to the nuts. The birds actually
loved the stuff but it offended the sensibilities of the squirrels!
Neil

Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Dee

This is the one that we use. It was a present and not bought from here (no
affiliation etc)
http://www.presentsdirect.com/go/Pro...categoryId=303

We have squirrels in the garden but have never seen them even trying to uses
this. Like the photo shows bigger birds will rest on the outer cage a poke
their head through.
We have had most of the tits, greenfinches, woodpeckers, robins, house
sparrows (we even had a nest this year) and a nut hatch (they feed upside
down, most amusing).

AndyP

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above

Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Rod

"edward holt" wrote in message ...
I've got a bird feeder that dishes out peanuts to the local birds - tit's,
finches, sparrows etc.
It's made of metal and is supposed to keep off the squirrels (grey squirrels
in my case).

It doesn't work - the squirrels still feed on it.
So I'm looking for a way of stopping the squirrels feeding on it.

I've got the metal bird feeder suspended from a piece of copper wire (I
thought the squirrels would not be able to climb down the copper wire).
This also did not help.

Is there any way I can attach a battery to the copper wire to give the
squirrels a polite shock to persuade them not to feed there?

Glass screw top honey jar. Stiff galvanised wire wrapped around to make it possible to hang it upside down on about 2
feet of wire. Holes drilled in the lid - just small enough to stop the nuts falling out. Squirrel can't do much with
that, the Tits cope OK, Nuthatch just about, Greenfinch with great difficulty.

Rod

Old 06-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Alan Holmes

"edward holt" wrote in message
I've got a bird feeder that dishes out peanuts to the local birds - tit's,
finches, sparrows etc.
It's made of metal and is supposed to keep off the squirrels (grey

squirrels
in my case).

It doesn't work - the squirrels still feed on it.
So I'm looking for a way of stopping the squirrels feeding on it.

Get a trap from Mole Valley Farmers and catch the vermin.

Alan

To eat or not to eat (:-) Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 1 30-10-2012 10:42 PM
Help The Squrrels Travel Guru Lawns 1 23-03-2007 01:53 AM
Squrrels Eat My Nuts edward holt United Kingdom 4 04-06-2003 08:08 PM
bunya nuts John Savage Australia 11 08-03-2003 07:57 PM
Large Wooden Nuts Steve United Kingdom 9 09-12-2002 08:00 PM