Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM

Default marrow problem

My marrow has been producing some goods, but when they get to about 3
inches long, they start going yellow and die. I picked one off that
was half yellow and found that inside, the yellow part was completely
hollow.

any idea what's happened?

thanks
Ross
Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Ross wrote in message ...
My marrow has been producing some goods, but when they get to about 3
inches long, they start going yellow and die. I picked one off that
was half yellow and found that inside, the yellow part was completely
hollow.

any idea what's happened?

Sounds like they aren't being pollinated. Try doing it by hand, cut off a
newly opened male flower and rub the pollen bits against the centre of the
female flower.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
David Hill

"...My marrow has been producing some goods, but when they get to about 3
inches long, they start going yellow and die...."

They haven't been pollinated.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 AM

erm...how do I tell the difference between a male and female flower?

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 AM

It's OK- I found a good diagram he

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/L232.htm

thanks for the advice.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:08 AM
jane

~
~They haven't been pollinated.
~

I have got the opposite problem, and I can't figure out how it
happened. I started off my butternut squashes far too early under
glass, and one of them took off like a rocket. The plant is now about
4' long and I've trained it up the wall with the cucumbers. The others
were a bit slower and so have gone outside as they're still reasonable
plants. I can't move the big one as it's just too big. Especially as
the silly thing has a squash on it, which is now 4" long and 2.5" wide
and to this day there have been *no* male flowers open on anything in
there except gherkins (which can't pollinate squashes).

It is showing no signs of shrivelling, as have the other two female
flowers that opened the same time.

Apart from having got a parthenogenic squash :-), anyone know if this
is common or what may have happened? I'm fascinated by it (and looking
forward to a very early squash indeed). Weird!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Marrow growing Mario Lanza United Kingdom 1 08-08-2006 10:43 AM
Marrow Mike United Kingdom 16 01-08-2006 09:37 PM
Marrow and Squash flowers compo United Kingdom 7 24-06-2005 12:25 AM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 0 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
( OT..ish ) Marrow Harrow Stephen Howard United Kingdom 14 13-01-2003 10:27 AM