Old 27-07-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Marrow

A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

Mike
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 27-07-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

If you are quick, you can pass it on to someone else before you have to
eat it.
They are beautiful objects and sadly, more or less tasteless unless
stuffed with something very strong tasting and smothered in some kind
of sauce and even the, not really worth the effort.

I have eaten them with a kind of minced meat stuffing, stuck in over
for an hour or so (maybe less); covered in foil to stop it burning
initially and served with a tomato sauce that the thing was cooked in
and it tasted ok but not very thrilling. I have also tried vegetarian
recipes but there were not worth repeating. Delia gives a recipe but
I did not find it great.

Last night, I eat the opposite end of the marrow spectrum. Courgettes
the size of my index finger (slightly bigger), sliced lengthwise and
deepfried in simple, flour, water batter. Courgettes seem to be born
with a certain amount of taste and that taste gets diluted as they
increase in size.

Des in Gastronomic Dublin

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 27-07-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

Savoury marrow ring

1 medium sized marrow
25 g walnuts
75g grated cheese
pinch nutmeg
3 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tbsp milk
2 hard boiled eggs
salt & pepper

Instructions

1. Peel the marrow, cut into rings about one and a half inches thick
and remove the seeds. Arrange in a greased ovenproof dish.

2. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for a few minutes. Add to this the
chopped boiled egg, chopped nuts and most of the cheese. Mix together
and fill the rings.

3. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, a light sprinkle of nutmeg,
season and bake at 190C (375F, gas 5) for about 20 minutes

and for afters

Marrow Pie.
Grate as much bread as will fill a large breakfast-cup
quite full. Put it into a jug and pour nearly a quart of
boiling sweet milk or thin cream over it, and let it swell
and soak while you shred half a pound of marrow or suet,
and beat up four large or six small eggs. Have two ounces
of raisins stoned, and two ounces of currants plumped.
Sweeten the pudding to taste, and season it with a very
little grated nutmeg and a teaspoonful of cinnamon in
powder. Cover a stoneware flat dish on the edge with
stripes of puff-paste, and mark neatly as leaves. Bake the
pie in this dish, or plainly in a deep dish.

or
Shrotcrust pastry.
1 Vegetable Marrow, moderate-sized, sliced
225g (8oz) Sugar
225g (8oz) Currants
1 Egg, beaten
2 tsp Wine Vinegar
tsp Nutmeg
tsp Dried Ginger

Pre-heat oven to 180C: 350F: Gas 4.
Line a large pie dish with short-crust pastry.
Place a layer of marrow slices in the base of the dish.
Sprinkle with some of the sugar, currants and spices.
Repeat the layers until the dish is filled.
Pour over the vinegar.
Cover with pastry, decorate if desired, brush with beaten egg.
Bake for 45-60 minutes.

Old 27-07-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi pammyT

We were hoping that 'someone who knew Marrows' would come up with a recipe
:-))

Very many thanks for that. Now printed off and in the Galley :-))
We feel that there may be a few more Marrows on their way :-))

Best wishes and thanks

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 27-07-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And thanks to the suggestions emailed to me :-))

Joan is in the Galley as I type :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Hi pammyT

We were hoping that 'someone who knew Marrows' would come up with a recipe
:-))

Very many thanks for that. Now printed off and in the Galley :-))
We feel that there may be a few more Marrows on their way :-))

Best wishes and thanks

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"pammyT" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 27-07-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bob, something somewhat similar is happening in the Galley as I type
:-))

Thanks for the email recipes folks :-))

Marrow a la variation for quite some while I think :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote
A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

They are better if kept for a couple of months, we are sure it

concentrates
the flavour.

There are various ways of stuffing them all rather similar to how you

would
stuff a pepper, but we just prefer them as another vegetable on the plate.
So cut 2 inch slices right through the fruit, peel and also cut out the
seeds/pith then cut the ring into 2 inch cubes.
In a large frying pan place some real butter, heat, and then put in the
Marrow and sprinkle liberally with freshly ground black pepper. Cover
loosely with a sheet of foil and saut until lightly brown.
Don't let them burn!
You may wish to garnish with some more pepper.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-07-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

They are better if kept for a couple of months, we are sure it concentrates
the flavour.

Agree - and then you could make Marrow and Ginger Jam at your
leisure when the weather is cooler.

Jennifer - in Bristol
Old 27-07-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

They are better if kept for a couple of months, we are sure it

concentrates
the flavour.

Agree - and then you could make Marrow and Ginger Jam at your
leisure when the weather is cooler.

Jennifer - in Bristol

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)))))))

Mike
On the Isle of Wight

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 27-07-2006, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mike" writes:
| A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))
|
| Suggestions for serving please.

My book has this entry:

Marrow: treat as amblongus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-07-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...

A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

Roasted Marrow Wedges - Cut marrow in half, de-seed then cut into wedges.
Mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon sugar and 3 crushed
garlic cloves.Pour onto marrow wedges and mix to get well coated. Roast in
oven for 45 minutes - goes very well with all types of roast

Jeanne

Old 27-07-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Jeanne, but the Garlic is a no no :-(((((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old 27-07-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:
| A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))
|
| Suggestions for serving please.

My book has this entry:

Marrow: treat as amblongus.

Since Nick quite unaccountably forgot to include the usual recipe, here
is the original and, in my opinion, still only acceptable one for
Amblongus pie.

Take four pounds (say 4 pounds) of fresh Amblongusses, and put them
in a small pipkin. Cover them with water and boil them for 8 hours
incessantly, after which add 2 pints of new milk, and proceed to boil
for 4 hours more. When you have ascertained that the Amblongusses are
quite soft, take them out and place them in a wide pan, taking care to
shake them well previously. Grate some nutmeg over the surface, and
cover them carefully with powdered gingerbread, curry-powder, and a
sufficient quantity of Cayenne pepper. Remove the pan into the next
room, and place it on the floor. Bring it back again, and let it simmer
for three-quarters of an hour. Shake the pan violently till all the
Amblongusses have become of a pale purple colour. Then, having prepared
the paste, insert the whole carefully, adding at the same time a small
pigeon, 2 slices of beef, 4 cauliflowers, and any number of oysters.
Watch patiently till the crust begins to rise, and add a pinch of salt
from time to time. Serve up in a clean dish, and throw the whole out of
the window as fast as possible.
- Edward Lear.

--
Mike.

Old 27-07-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:

A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

As with aubergines, marrows are simply a roundabout way of
growing your own cardboard.

michael adams

Old 28-07-2006, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message

Mike wrote:

A neighbour has given us a Marrow :-))

Suggestions for serving please.

As with aubergines, marrows are simply a roundabout way of
growing your own cardboard.

michael adams

I wouldn't have said cardboard, more 'bathroom sponge' hence the question in
the hope of making it more palatable ;-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-07-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hmm tasty, we do have a book titled "a glut of courgettes & marrows"
which has some nice recipe, but that sounds nice!

pammyT wrote:

Mike wrote:
[...]

My Blog at: http://www.livejournal.com/users/sw33tf00l/

Marrow growing Mario Lanza United Kingdom 1 08-08-2006 10:43 AM
Marrow and Squash flowers compo United Kingdom 7 24-06-2005 12:25 AM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 6 06-06-2003 11:08 AM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 0 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
( OT..ish ) Marrow Harrow Stephen Howard United Kingdom 14 13-01-2003 10:27 AM