Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Fennel - do you have to eat it young?

Hi,

I have a fennel plant that has seeded in a brick path, and has been there
for several years.

Each year I mean to dig it up in the winter, then forget.

During the summer it is in totally the wrong place but I think I might use
the leaves, or wait for the seeds (which I usually forget to gather).

So - is the root likely to be still edible?
If so, when can it be harvested?
Now, or at the end of the season when the foliage is dying back?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Paul England

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a fennel plant that has seeded in a brick path, and has been there
for several years.

Each year I mean to dig it up in the winter, then forget.

During the summer it is in totally the wrong place but I think I might use
the leaves, or wait for the seeds (which I usually forget to gather).

So - is the root likely to be still edible?
If so, when can it be harvested?
Now, or at the end of the season when the foliage is dying back?

Cheers
Dave R

According to Dr.D.G.Hessayon's The Vegetable & Herb Expert - the feathery
leaves can be gathered in summer and used with fish, salads and soups.
For seeds, tie paper bag over flower heads and hang upside-down in bunches.
Used with oily fish. HTH

Paul

Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
A.Malhotra

Paul England wrote:

[...]

Presumably this refers to fennel herb. By the sound of it, the original
poster thinks he has florence fennel ie with an edible bulb. Does florence
fennel produce leaves and seeds of the same quality? It seems more likely
though, if its self-seeded, that this IS fennel herb rather than florence
fennel.
Anita
Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Paul England" firstplatz @virgin.net wrote in message

[...]

Paul,
thanks - I wasn't clear in my original post.
I am asking about the bulb/whatever at the base of the plant that you braise
as a vegetable.
Cheers
Dave R

Old 06-06-2003, 05:20 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"A.Malhotra" wrote in message

Paul England wrote:

[...]

Ah - the plot thickens.
So there are two types:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/askthechef...s/fennel.shtml
Then again are there?
http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/fennel.htm
Very confusing because apparently with the bulb or florence fennel you can
also use the leaves and stems, and with herb fennel you can also eat the
bulb.

Whatever I have is certainly a perennial because it has been coming upfor
several years and never quite disappears even in the winter.

I get seedlings around the garden - I transplanted them this year from
various beds to one position.
I know I shouldn't have but most survived :-)

So probably I have herb fennel and I may be able to eat the bulbs.

I think.

Whatever, the elderly parent is probably quite tough by now.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Paul England

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Paul England" firstplatz @virgin.net wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

snip
So - is the root likely to be still edible?
If so, when can it be harvested?
Now, or at the end of the season when the foliage is dying back?

Cheers
Dave R

snip
I am asking about the bulb/whatever at the base of the plant that you

braise
as a vegetable.
Cheers
Dave R

Florence Fennel, again from D.G.Hessayon '...... water when the weather is
dry and earth up when it reaches the size of a golf ball.Continue earthing
up till it's the size of a tennis ball (July - September).
Slice for serving raw in salads or boil for 30 - 40 mins and serve with
butter, white or cheese sauce.' HTH.

Paul

Old 07-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Very confusing because apparently with the bulb or florence fennel you can
also use the leaves and stems, and with herb fennel you can also eat the
bulb.

Whatever I have is certainly a perennial because it has been coming upfor
several years and never quite disappears even in the winter.

I'll be very surprised if you find any edible bulb at the bottom of
herb fennel; its straight stem is quite unlike the swollen white base of
florence fennel.

Janet.