Old 07-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Steve Harris

Default Broad Bean: The Sutton

The pods on my crop are up to about 4" long and quite slim. The beans
are quite bitter. Will the pods get bigger and the beans taste nicer?

Or is it:

- If you buy a dwarf variety, expect the pods to be dwarf too?
- The only good thing about a dwarf variety is that it's small?
- I've not been treating them right?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve
Harris writes
The pods on my crop are up to about 4" long and quite slim. The beans
are quite bitter. Will the pods get bigger and the beans taste nicer?

Or is it:

- If you buy a dwarf variety, expect the pods to be dwarf too?
- The only good thing about a dwarf variety is that it's small?
- I've not been treating them right?

Thanks!

Broad beans are ready for picking when they hang down instead of
sticking up.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Helen Johnson @ Chris French

In message , Steve
Harris writes
The pods on my crop are up to about 4" long and quite slim. The beans
are quite bitter. Will the pods get bigger and the beans taste nicer?

prob not yet ready. We grow the sutton, and it gives a good crop of
large tasty broad beans. I usually harvest when the beans inside are
about the same size as a fingernail but they will grow bigger if left.
--
Helen Johnson @ Chris French